Chemicals are something that you cannot do without, whether you are clearing your house off pests, cleaning your furniture, removing stains from wooden furniture, using it for bleaching, or simply for cleaning utensils.
Just as chemicals have a wide array of application, not all of them are safe to handle. This holds true especially when you have children or pets at home.
In this write up, we will find out how you can use these chemicals and at the same time make sure that you do not hurt yourself or your loved ones while using them or carrying them from one place to another.
Rules for handling harmful chemicals
Regardless of whether you are transporting chemicals for your employer or relocating to another office or shifting your home, these are the following measures that you can take for safe transit. Check these out.
- Right transporting container –It is quite likely that you must have been entrusted with the work of transporting chemicals that might be very hazardous too. Under such circumstances, make sure you mark that particular chemical with a label. This will help you in taking extra precaution when you carry them. Also, the chemical should be placed in a suitable container.
- Use as directed – The chemicals that you plan to use ought to be used only for the purpose it is meant for. And in case you are sending chemicals through a layman that is not aware of the properties of these substances, then he ought to be instructed about the same. It is best to use chemicals or substances for which they are used for. Unless there is an expert in this field, it is best not to experiment with the same.
- Restraint from eating – While you are handling chemicals, it is best not to eat or drink. Most importantly, never touch contact lens unless you have cleaned your hands with soap and you are sure that there is no residual chemical remaining in your hands, palm, or fingers. Also, using cosmetics should be avoided when you are transporting these substances.
- Safe storage methods – In the event you are required to store them, do so, only as per guidelines. There are many such substances that have to be kept at a certain temperature or have to be protected from direct sunlight or exposure. Under such circumstances, keep them in a safe place that is not accessible by children or pets. And make sure that if there is more than one chemical, you ought to store them separately and in containers that are placed at a safe distance from each other.
- Troubleshooting – In the event, you have to take an emergency stand if chemicals spill over or start leaking, be well versed in the measures that will help you to tackle the situation right away.
- Safety of workers – It is mandatory that you take adequate precaution and also take into account the safety of the professionals that are carrying these chemicals from one place to another. Remember, regardless of whether your workers are handling research chemicals or any other type of chemical, you are held responsible in the event of any emergency. After all, your employee is taking the risk for you.
- Know the symbols – Last but not the least, it is best not only in your interest but also of the workers to be familiar with the symbols that are depicted by each chemical. For instance, know which chemicals have the following properties and their corresponding symbols.
- Very toxic
- Contains gas under pressure
- Harmful to skin and eyes
- Severe eye damage and skin burns
- Harmful to the environment
- Serious long term health hazards
- Increases risk of fire