No one would associate health benefits with lemon peels. But you’ll be surprised to know that it is responsible for fighting, preventing and treating many health conditions you wish you never had. So, before you throw out the humble lemon peel next time, think again. Perhaps, you should dry it and use it for some wonderful health benefits? Read on to know more about the many benefits and uses of lemon peels.
Health benefits of lemon peels:
- Fights cancer: Lemon peels are adept at preventing and treating cancer because they contain Limonene and Salvestrol Q40 that help fight the development of cancerous cells all over the body. Therefore, it helps to eat lemon peel and all parts of the lemon to prevent several cancer types such as breast, colon and skin.
- Prevents anaemia from setting in: As is generally known, anaemia is caused due to a deficiency of iron. However, by including lemon peels in your diet, you can take advantage of their iron content and prevent the onset of anaemia. Lemon peels not only contain iron, but also high concentrations of citric acid and Vitamin C which are known to absorb iron from foods ingested.
- Lowers cholesterol levels: You can depend on lemon peels to lower your cholesterol levels due to the content of polyphenol flavonoids. This helps keep your heart in good condition.
- Prevents cardiovascular problems: Potassium in lemon peels helps maintain the optimum blood pressure levels in the body. They also prevent heart attacks, diabetes and heart diseases from setting in.
- Maintains dental health and hygiene: Lemon peels are a wonderful remedy for any problem related to dental health and oral hygiene. Being rich in Vitamin C, they keep scurvy, bleeding gums and gingivitis at bay. They are also abundant in citric acid which helps fight gum and teeth-related problems.
- Brings about weight loss: Pectin, a component of lemon peels, is responsible for causing weight loss.
- Prevents the skin from aging prematurely: Apply lemon peel to the skin to prevent the skin from premature aging. This also keeps wrinkles, dark spots, acne and pigmentation at bay. Lemon peel is also rich in antioxidants, which help detoxify the skin to a large extent.
- Boosts immunity: Since lemons are chock full of vitamin C, it is no surprise that lemon peel zest can give a boost to the immune system. Anti-inflammatory and able to help the body build up a defense mechanism against infections, the vitamin C found in lemon peels helps to prevent sickness and enables the body to fight off disease more effectively.
- Detoxifies the body: Being anti-bacterial in nature, lemon peel is a good detoxifying substance. Dry and crush lemon peel into a fine powder. Make a paste with water and apply on acne spots and other skin blemishes and therefore gets rid of all skin impurities. Eating dried lemon peel also helps detoxify the uric acid build-up in the liver.
- Eliminates toxins from the body: Lemon peels contain citrus bioflavonoids that help remove all the toxins in our body that weaken us and increase our addiction to dangerous foods and alcoholic drinks.
How to get the most out of lemon peels: Keep lemon peels in the freezer till frozen. Once frozen, grate them and add their crumbs to your tea, salad or eat it directly by mixing with sugar. This combines both taste and health benefits of lemon peels.
With so many wonderful but lesser-known uses of lemon peels, shouldn’t we make it part of our daily diet today?