According to onetouchdiabetes.co.in, now more than before, children are at a higher risk of getting Type 2 diabetes due to lifestyle changes. There are two different kinds of diabetes. Diabetes type 1 is where your body is no longer able to produce any more insulin. People with this type of diabetes have to take insulin injections every day. Type 2 diabetes is preventable since the body can still produce insulin though it may not be enough.
If your children and teenagers are obese or overweight, they have a higher chance of getting type 2 diabetes. The reason behind this is that your children's bodies have become resistant to insulin. Therefore, their pancreas' have to work twice as hard so as to make more insulin which in some instances is never enough.
Often times, children and teens that have type 2 diabetes do not know they have the disease. However, there are certain things you can check for. In case you notice the following symptoms, you should take your child to a health center and have diabetes test done. These symptoms are:
- Increased thirst and hunger
- Blurry vision
- Unusual fatigue
- Frequent urination
According to elitedaily.com's recent article on diabetes, your children and teens may control type 2 diabetes by doing exercises, having a well balanced diet and you have to keep an eye on their nutrition.
Children and teens can prevent the occurrence of type 2 diabetes or cause its delays by practicing the following diabetes control tips.
Eating healthy so as to lose weight
The healthy tips that you should always encourage and ensure your children practice are:
- Drinking a lot of water. You should make sure that the children avoid any sweetened type of drinks as they may often be high in calories but may not have any health benefits.
- You should encourage the children to take more fresh fruits and vegetables.
- You should also make sure that snacks considered as healthy are available at the reach of your children so as to help them anytime they feel intense hunger in fewer intervals. Instead of fizzy drinks, you should encourage your children to drink yoghurt and eat nuts.
- You should limit your children's intake of fast foods and help them make healthier choices. For example, you should encourage them to choose baked chips instead of French fries.
Getting active so as to lose weight
You can make sure your children and teens get at least a one hour exercise per day and staying active. Exercising will keep their energy levels up and will help prevent obesity. Things you can train them to do include walking, using the stairs instead of elevators and cycling.
Challenge your children and teens to set goals and reward them when they achieve their targets. This will encourage them to continue with the healthy habits.
One of the reasons why teenagers have become obese is because they also spend a lot of time watching television and playing video games. It is important to reduce the amount of time they spend in front of the TV and increase the time they spend doing physical activities.
Contributed by http://www.onetouchdiabetes.co.in/