Nowadays, it is very important to backup the Gmail emails. The hackers attack is very frequent these days. The security of the account will be compromised if any mishappening occurs. Messages and other data could be lost. In severe cases, a user may also lose the access to the Gmail account. Considering all these possible scenarios and safeguarding the account, it is required to keep the backup for future purpose. The post deals with the best way to backup Gmail.
Workaround Method to Backup Gmail Mailbox Account
In today’s era of continuously connected world of communication, a user must have an email client which are either pre-installed on Mac system or downloaded for the Windows operating system. Whichever email service provider a user is using, the Gmail emails can be downloaded and saved by enabling protocols like IMAP and POP. A user needs to follow given set of instructions to activate the protocols:
- Sign in to your Gmail account by entering credentials. Click on the gear icon at the top right-hand side corner and select the option of settings from the drop-down menu
- Navigate to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab. From the IMAP Access heading, select the option of Enable IMAP
- Click on Save changes at the bottom of the page to apply the changes made.
Manual Technique Using Different Email Clients
There are different methods to obtain the backup of Gmail account. It can be accomplished with the help of desktop based email clients such as:
- Using Thunderbird
- Using Outlook
- Using Apple Mail App
Let us go through them in detail
Method 1: Using Mozilla Thunderbird
- Open the Thunderbird application on your local system
- The next step is to add your Gmail account to the Thunderbird account. To do this:
- Click on Email option in the Accounts section
- A new window will appear on the screen. Then, select Skip this and use my existing email present in the bottom left-hand side corner.
- In the next step, you have to enter your name, Gmail address, and password for the account. Click on the continue button to backup your Gmail data
- Finally, click on Done and you can open your Thunderbird account to see the updates on the Gmail account.
Method 2: Using Microsoft Outlook
- Launch MS Outlook program on the local machine
- Select the File followed by Info and then, Add account
- In the upcoming steps, you have to add your Gmail account to backup Gmail in Windows
- Select the radio button of the E-mail account. Enter your name, email address, and password. Click on Next button
- At last click on the Finish button to end the process.
- You can open the Outlook account to be updated with the latest emails
Method 3: Using Apple Mail App
To backup Gmail on Mac, you have to follow the steps explained in the following section:
- Run the Mail Application and select the alternative of Mail from the menu and choose the option of Preferences from the complete list of options
- Then, switch to the accounts tab located at the top-left corner
- To add the Gmail account, go through these steps:
- Click on the addition button present in the bottom left-hand side corner. Enter your name, email address, and the corresponding password.
- Afterward, click on the Set up button present in the bottom right-hand corner.
- In the next step, you have to choose the Mail App followed by done button
- Keep visiting the Apple Mail to check the latest updates of the Gmail account
Limitations While Opting Manual Approches
To backup Gmail data, the manual technique is very effective but, it still contains some of the limitations like:
- Many steps are involved in the procedure, resulting in the lengthy and time-consuming process
- It is mandatory to have a desktop-based email client to be installed on the system
- Technical knowledge regarding email clients is required to go for manual method
- The mistake committed at any point may result in the loss of data
Alternative Solution To Help You Out To Make Your Task Easy
To overcome the limitations of the workaround approach, a user can go for the automated method. This can be performed with the help of the third-party utility, i.e. SysTools. This is the professional solution to backup Gmail emails in the best possible way. The user interface of the tool is so simple that even a novice user can use it without any problem.
Along with the emails, the tool is smart enough to backup and save the other components like emails, contacts, documents, and calendars. If the user wants to backup Gmail emails in PST format, it is a prerequisite that MS Outlook should be installed on the system. Even after the backup is obtained, the software free up the server space.
The Bottom Line
The Gmail account of any user can be a victim of any hacker. It may result in the loss of data and relevant information. In order to safeguard the account, it is advised to keep the backup of the Gmail account. It can be done by manual solution but, there are some limitations of the manual technique. Hence, it is advised to go with the automated solution. According to the experts, it is the best way to backup Gmail.