Keeping your roof in tip-top condition is a huge part of looking after your home as a whole. There's no greater peace of mind than that which comes from knowing that your home is safe and protected as a storm rages overhead! Many people look after their yards and maintain their properties beautifully-at least the stuff they can see-but they leave their poor old roof to be unappreciated and unloved! This can cause huge problems in the near and far future, as the roof suffers from wear and tear and eventually has a fault. It's not hard to look after your roof though, and these ten simple roof maintenance tips will have your roof in amazing condition for years to come.
- Inspect it regularly. There's no easier way to know what's up with your roof than to run your eyes over it on a regular basis. This should be done after storms and when the seasons change.
- Clean the gutters out. You need to keep these arterial lines clean otherwise you run the risk of having water damage your property! Check the gutters for breaks, holes and missing pieces.
- Check the flashing. The flashing of your house is a huge problem area for your house-mainly because it works to cover a hole in your roof! Check around things like exhaust pipes and make sure it isn't bent or dried out.
- Maintain your trees. Make sure that there aren't any risky structures growing in and around the roof area that can cause problems when they fall or drop leaves.
- Look out for possums. These furry critters, as well as rats-can cause problems with your roof if they get in and chew things up.
- Keep the roof insect free. If you live in a place where termites are a problem, be sure to check for them in your home. They can cause serious issues if left untreated.
- Take a walk. If you wander around your house and look for water leaks or signs of damage you'll be able to spot problems before they become issues.
- If you have an attic, inspect it. This is a prime spot for showing up roof issues, so be sure to check it out semi-regularly.
- Don't walk on your roof. It might seem easy to maintain your roof by walking on it yourself and clearing it up-don't. You need to only walk on the parts that aren't tiles or shingles-otherwise you risk damaging it. Do not rest ladders on windows. This may seem obvious, but people do it.
- Get the professionals in. Don't risk damage to your roof by doing things you're not prepared or skilled in. Get in a professional who can clean and maintain your roof-it'll save you in the long run!
I hope that these short tips on how to look after your roof have proven to be useful. Remember that it's far better to spend a little money now to save plenty of money when you don't need to replace your roof sooner than you need to!
If you wish to employ someone to cover you roof, and you are unsure about the tradesman you have been quoted. Request there licence
You must log in to post a comment.