It takes the time to familiarize yourself with the new environment and get used to new rules and education techniques. The Foreign country offers new perspectives, a fresh start. Moreover, this is a great chance to improve English skills as all education is made in this language: writing term papers, conducting researches, performing academic papers for professors and much more.
At the beginning young people may be frightened and devastated but after finding new friends and improving language skills, it will be much easier to get back on tracks. To improve the learning process, we have gathered useful recommendations for international students who may struggle with the English language:
- In case you are experiencing difficulties with reading in English try breaking the text into sections and understanding the general concepts. If some sentences seem confusing translate carefully and continue reading.
Try not to translate every phrase but stick to the main concept in order not to lose focus. Underline key words and phrases and jot down new vocabulary. Dedicate time to analyzing all tables and diagrams, they might be difficult at the beginning but with time become easier for understanding. Using flashcards, many students find helpful as allowing to learn a lot of new words.
- After attending lectures, you must look through made notes and clarify all unknown information. While listening to lectures do your best not to miss key concepts and jot them down, later they will be used in writing your academic papers. Many students find it hard writing own course and research papers and start looking for reliable custom writing services. EssayBox.org is a good option.
It is also possible to record lectures and after listening to them as many times as necessary for better understanding.
- Speaking with native speakers will significantly improve your comprehension of English language.
- How to organize effective preparation for exams? Meet your professor after the lectures and clarify all dubious questions. Organize study groups with friends; it is easier to prepare for the exams together as your friend will be able explaining unknown material in casual and informal manner.
It is vital to dedicate enough time to your needs as getting enough sleep, eating healthy, spending time on fresh air and engaging yourself in sports activities otherwise, stress is inevitable, and it might affect your test scores.
Secrets of effective learning process
Without any doubts any student wants to be successful, earning excellent grades and build a solid reputation. At the same time, we all want to have some personal time and have fun while young. As a result, the level of concentration suffers significantly. Non-university distractions are getting in the way of proper concentration, writing better papers, attending lectures and seminars. According to the researches, it is only our mind that creates an obstacle and not loud noises and upcoming vacation season. Here are some basic recommendations on how to create an environment that facilitates learning ability:
- Look for the area that is used exclusively for educational purposes. Libraries, college classes are perfect. Avoid such places as coffee shops as they are full of distractions and time-wasting opportunities.
- Surround yourself only with study related aides like textbooks, academic magazines.
- Make sure your area doesn’t have TVs or radios.
- The best time for studying is early morning, afternoon, and early evening as you are not yet tired and ready to retain and perceive new information. Avoid studying late at night as you will be exhausted the next day and won’t remember anything. Time management skill is of great help in such planning.
- Avoid unnecessary contacts with friends during time when you are studying.
- When you start feeling yourself tired and exhausted end your study session or take a long break.
- Also don’t start learning something when you are tired, feeling sleepy or overwhelmed with strong emotions.
To avoid distractions, it is necessary to keep yourself motivated and work for the result. Set a goal and do the best you can to achieve success, this skill will be invaluable in your adult life as well.