Oil and gas drilling are two of the many precariously debilitating jobs every strong and determined man could ever take on. While every drilling project requires physical strength and mental alertness, exhaustive safety training and physical conditioning are required to those who are directly involved with the job.
Although risks are being methodically assessed, it is still essential for employees and contractors to be aware of the potential dangers while working on the actual rig. Rigorous training, however, does not guarantee survival and success. In joining the oil and gas drilling bandwagon, drillers should always ensure that they maintain optimum health.
Health is the most important shield we have when we are working hard to provide for our families and loved ones. But sometimes we become careless when it comes to this aspect and physically abuse ourselves unintentionally. Since it is our most important investment, we need to keep it. Here are few safety and health tips for drillers and other industrial workers.
- Get the best training. Basic safety awareness does not totally secure employees and contractors from the dangers. In order to boost your awareness, in-depth training on equipment use, equipment security maintenance and site protective gears is necessary. An oil drilling company not only focuses on searching for drilling equipment, but also on finding ways to keep the welfare and safety of its workers. Take advantage of every training and workshop that will be required and provided by the company for this will surely help you on emergency cases.
- Get the best protection. Take all-weather precautions that you can to protect yourself from even the tiniest spark of danger, mental stress and various health problems. Make sure that you are wearing overall safety gears when you are in the actual job site. It is very important because when you are working on oil and gas drilling, you will definitely be dealing with heat and pressure most of the time.
Develop a Healthy Lifestyle
Your lifestyle can definitely affect your work performance. In order to protect your career, you also need to safeguard your health as an oil or gas driller. When you are weak and sickly, you will not be able to deliver your employer's expectations. Therefore, you should maintain a healthy lifestyle to survive the strenuous demands of your job.
- Exercise regularly. Regular exercise will help your body acclimatize with the pressure and heat in the job site.
- Drink enough fluids. Water will help your body in maintaining and regulating your temperature, and avoiding dehydration.
- Maintain proper diet. This should always be part of your health program. Proper diet is essential in your physical and mental health.
- Eat the right foods and take in the right nutrients. Eating foods that could fulfill your nutritional needs is important to maintain your agility and focus.
- Always take a complete rest. There is no better therapy than proper sleep or rest. It is a good way to rejuvenate your muscles and replenish your strength. If you would find an opportunity, go to a spa for a relaxing treat or if not, go on a refreshing trip.
Optimism and positive culture is very important at work and in the family as well. Your daily drudgery requires positive mental health. A healthy body and a healthy environment will help you maintain mental well-being. There are many things how to keep an optimistic outlook and energy.
- Build rapport-Having a good working relationship with your colleagues is one step to achieving a healthy career.
- Be flexible-Consider other worker's interests and jobs, and exude a positive vibe to everyone. You don't have to join in a group but you can consider engaging in a short conversation during break times. If you could reach out, do so.
- Avoid stress-Try to avoid thinking too much about trivial matters to avoid losing your focus at work.
- Resolving issues-Disagreements and small conflicts are sometimes inevitable in the workplace or in the family but as much as possible, talk over the issue and resolve it right away.
- Be a team player-Don't be an outsider. Get involved. This will foster camaraderie and good human relation.
When we are oil or gas drilling, we are prone to physical and mental hazards. Achieving optimum physical and mental health is absolutely good and maintaining it is very rewarding. Protect your investment by observing safety rules and guidelines and ensure career growth by embracing optimum physical and mental wellness.
Brandon Peters is an entrepreneur, writer and outdoors enthusiast. He is always fascinated at trying and learning new things that will allow him to go beyond his comfort zone. He also loves checking out on Tradequip.