Infrastructure as a service or IaaS is one of the fundamental service models of cloud computing that provide virtualized computing resources over the internet. It is the best fundamental service models of cloud computing alongside Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software as a Service (SaaS) and thus, is opted by a number of businesses throughout the world. Moreover, it provides access to computing resources in the virtualized world and offers virtual server space, network connections, bandwidth, IP addresses, load balancer and so on. IaaS can be utilized by enterprise customers in order to create cost effective and scalable IT solutions and thus, the complexities and expenses of managing the underlying hardware can be outsourced.
Here are some of the features and benefits of Infrastructure as a service (IaaS):
- Scalability– Resources are available when the client needs it and hence, with IaaS, you can avoid the delay that is usually found in expanding the capacity. In this way, wastage of unused capacity can also be avoided.
- No investment required: Well! You’d be glad to know that the fundamental physical hardware that supports an IaaS service is set up and maintained by the cloud provider, therefore, there is no additional cost required.
- Location independence: IaaS service can be accessed from anywhere. It’s just the internet you need and along with it the security protocol of the cloud.
- Physical security of data center locations: IaaS services can be accessed through public cloud, private cloud that is hosted externally with the cloud provider.
- Minimum chances of failure: For example, if any server fails to work, the broader service would not be affected due to other hardware resources.