The drop shadow effect is a feature in Windows systems that allow users to make icons and texts more visible on the wallpaper. Applying this effect, results in easier to read icon and texts on wallpapers that have both dark and light spots such as nature inspired or urban landscapes. Even though drop shadows is a beautiful feature overall, its usability highly depends on the type of wallpaper you use. You may like or dislike it. Solid color or bright backgrounds usually don't perform good with the feature enabled.
Let's see how to turn it off:
1. Go to Start screen and type sysdm.cpl to launch System Properties.
2. In the Advanced tab go to Performance section and click the Settings button.
4. Find Use Drop Shadows For Icon Labels On The Desktop.
5. Depending on what you like to do, check or uncheck the selection box. Click OK.
6. Click OK once again to close System Properties.
If you are asked to restart the computer please do so.