Curious about what exactly is WiFi calling? Don’t worry. This post can help.
WiFi Calling: A Brief Overview
WiFi calling is a process where you make voice calls via a wireless network instead of using your phone’s carrier network.
WiFi calling can be done on your home’s private wireless network or on whatever WiFi hotspot you happen to be on including a public wireless network (although it is not advisable for you to make calls on a public network due to security issues; so beware).
In most cases, WiFi calling is similar to any other phone calls involving regular phone numbers.
Does your phone offer WiFi calling?
Almost all modern day phones support WiFi calling.
If you are using an Android phone, follow the following steps to switch WiFi calling “ON” on your phone:
- Go to your phone’s Wireless and Network settings.
- Tap on “More.”
- Find out “WiFi calling” and enable it.
If you are using an iOS device, follow the following steps to switch WiFi calling “ON” on your phone:
- Go to Settings.
- Look for WiFi calling.
- Switch it on by tapping on “enable.”
Benefits of WiFi Calling
- WiFi calling is exceptionally useful when you are in an area with weak carrier network coverage. For example, when you are traveling to the countryside or to any other remote areas.
- WiFi calling is free (only in special circumstances). In most cases, it is cheaper than carrier network calling, especially when making overseas phone calls.
- You will be able to make your calls via WiFi even when there’s no carrier network coverage [P.S. You will need a stable WiFi connection though].
- The calling experience is seamless and sometimes, can even be better than a normal phone call depending upon the signal strength of the network.
Do you need a fast WiFi connection for seamless WiFi calling?
It almost goes without saying that the faster your network is, the better your connection’s going to be.
But as far as the minimum requirement is concerned, our recommendation would be to get a speed of 1Mbps.
A speed of 1Mbps should be enough for a seamless calling experience. Anything below 1 Mbps and you may experience a significant drop in quality and a whole lot of call drop issues.
What carrier networks support this service?
All four major carriers in the US support this service:
- Verizon, and
Google Project Fi and Republic Wireless also provide the built-in WiFi calling feature on certain handsets.
For more information on WiFi calling, refer to the following infographic:
Source: Inspire WiFI