As a homeowner, you probably wonder if a home alarm system is worth the investment. After all, no one wants to be the victim of a break-in. While there is no guarantee that an alarm system will ultimately prevent a burglar from breaking into your home, it can deter them.
You should look out for the techniques burglars use to break into homes and the level of technology your alarm uses, such as detecting motion or impact. By employing the right resources, home alarms are effective in deterring burglars.
To understand this better, let’s answer some questions about the effectiveness of home alarms.
How Do Home Alarms Detect Burglars?
Most home security systems use motion detectors to detect when a burglar has entered the home. These devices emit infrared (IR) beams that detect movement within a particular area. When the IR beams are interrupted, the alarm is triggered.
There are two types of motion detectors:
- Passive detectors
- Active detectors
Passive motion detectors detect infrared radiation naturally emitted by objects and people. Active motion detectors emit their own IR beams, which bounce off objects and people to detect movement.
One advantage of using motion detectors is installing them in areas where it is difficult to place other types of sensors, such as windows and doors.
How Do Burglars Avoid Alarm Systems?
Burglars can get around alarm systems using some of these methods.
- One way is by cutting the wires that connect the system to the monitoring center. That will disable the alarm and allow the burglar to enter the home without being detected.
- Another way is using a device that emits a signal that cancels the signal from the alarm system. That can be purchased online or at some electronics stores.
- Finally, some burglars will disable the alarm system by breaking into the control panel and disconnecting the power source. That is usually only possible if the burglar has some knowledge of electronics.
How Effective Is a Home Alarm Security System?
A home alarm system is an effective way to deter burglars and keep your home safe. When choosing a home alarm system, it is crucial to consider the features that are most important to you.
Some home alarm systems offer basic stuff such as window and door sensors, while other firms offer more preferable features like motion detectors and surveillance cameras. No matter what features you choose, a home alarm security system is an effective way to protect your home and family.
Characteristics of a Good Home Alarm System
Here are some characteristics of an effective home alarm:
- A good burglar alarm should be loud enough to attract attention.
- It should have a backup power source in case of power outages.
- The alarm should be visible to potential burglars so they know it is active.
- It should be simple to use so you can activate it quickly in an emergency.
- The alarm should have a monitoring service so that you’re sure that it is always working.
When choosing a home alarm security system, it is important to consider the features that are most important to you. A good security system should be loud, have a backup power source, be visible to potential burglars, and be easy to use. Most importantly, the alarm system should have a monitoring service to ensure it is always working.