Professional chefs know very well, how they need to take care of knives and stay safe in the kitchen! So, they want the same for the novice and home chefs. They are here to share some tips that can help you stay safe in the kitchen while you are using the knives! Knowing these tips you can move forward and ensure a satisfactory cooking experience (and stay safe too!).
Step one, of course, starts with finding sharp knives from stores like Perkin Knives. Perkin Knives, however, is not the only store! There are so many more. Just keep looking, and find a good set of knives for your kitchen cutting, skinning, filleting and chopping needs. Next, comes the hard part, making sure that you are safe from all kinds of injury.
What are the Safety Tips for All Using Kitchen Knives?
You need to know the best techniques to handle the kitchen knives. You need proper knife training, but that cannot save you alone. You need to know some useful tips! The professional chefs already know these tips. Now, they are ready to share it with all the novice and home chefs. Here are the professional’s tips for all:
1. A Sharper Knife is Always Safe: A dull knife cannot give you precision cuts! Even if you do not let that get in your way, remember that dull knives require more force to get the cuts, albeit uneven. This can result in a slip, increasing the chances of injuries. So, always maintain a sharp knife. You could use a sharpening stone or knife sharpener. If you need the knife sharpened in between cuts, then you could use the sharpening steel.
2. Right Knife for the Right Job: There is no right or wrong cutting job in the kitchen, but there is always a right or wrong knife. You would not use a chopping knife for filleting a fish! If you do, then you will have a fish massacre on your hands. You need to use a fillet knife for that! So, always know the right knife for the job. But, there is a right and wrong job, when it comes to using knives in the kitchen in general. Knives cannot be a substitute for a can-opener, a box-cutter or even a screwdriver! Knives are not meant for that. There are specific tools for that. It is advisable to not use the knives for these jobs.
3. Stable Surface is Crucial for Cutting & Chopping: You need to have a stable surface for cutting. Just imagine a situation where you set the knife down with all your force and the cutting board slips! The knife may end up slicing your finger! If your knives are sharp, then the damage could be far worse. So, use a wet cloth under the cutting board so that it does not slip. It will definitely be easier to use a wooden chopping board. It keeps the knives sharp and has less chance of slipping out from under the knife. Next thing you need to worry about is the fruit or veggie that you are cutting! Always create a flat surface, may it be tomatoes or potatoes. While you are cutting or chopping lay the fruit/veggie down on its flat surface. All you need to do is cut away a portion to create the flat part. This will ensure that you do not end up severing your own finger!
4. Knives need to be Clean: Contamination is a huge issue caused by dirty knives. So, always keep the knife clean. As soon as you finish the job clean it up. Leaving it in clogged up sinks and cutting board can lead to contamination as well as injuries. Cleaning the knife immediately prevents injuries and also maintains the knife’s sharp edge. If not cleaned properly, then you also run the chance of a slippery edge that can slip and cause a dangerous cut!
5. Knife Storage: You need to store the knives in an organized way! A disorganized knife storage space is definitely going to cause injuries. Apart from that, the knives can also lose their sharp edge easily. Always use a block or hanging rack for knives. This reduces the chances of unintentional grabbing, which reduces the chances of injuries significantly.
Now, you know the tips in the kitchen to stay safe from cuts. The problem arises in the fact that most people do not know the right technique. Another issue is the problem of being distracted. If you can learn the skills and stay focused, then you are the winner in the kitchen. Oh, do not forget the tips mentioned above! When you combine all the tips, along with your skills and focus, then you will have a pleasant, fruitful and safe cooking experience!