High blood pressure is just like other diseases that can be extremely serious. It normally does not affect your mood, but often referred as “the silent killer”. In most cases, people with high blood pressure are unaware unless they have their blood pressure measured. In such condition person may be causing severe damage and putting them at risk of death from heart disease or stroke.
High blood pressure is referred as an increase in the pressure of blood in the arteries. HBP works against the arteries and heart, causing artery disease. In case of HBP, the heart has to work harder to pump blood through the entire body. Because of the extra hard work, heart gets expanded that may cause some serious problems. Most of the people live a normal life without knowing they have this problem because there are no symptoms of it, but if care is not taken, HBP can increase the risk of several health issues such as heart attack, diabetes, eye problems, strokes, kidney problem and finally death.
The only way to find out that you have high pressure is to have your blood pressure checked. A normal blood pressure is between 120mm Hg over 80mm Hg to 140mm Hg over 90mm Hg shows that you are fine, while being over can cause severe problems.
To keep your blood pressure normal, it is important to follow some healthy habits such as:
- Exercising 30 to 60 minutes a day can help you to bring down your blood pressure numbers
- Follow the DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension)
- Keep your sodium intake to a minimum level for lowering the blood pressure
- Loss excess weight
- Nix nicotine and alcohol limit
- Reduce stress
Other than following a healthy lifestyle, there are various Anti-Hypertensive medications available that play an important role to lower your blood pressure. The goal of these medications is to control your blood pressure and bring it back to the normal level.
List of Anti-Hypertensive drugs:
- Diuretics drugs include Aldactone, Dyrenium, Lasix, Lozol, Midamor etc. These medications help your kidney to remove excess of salt and water from the body.
- Beta Blockers include Blocadren, Coreg, Inderal, etc. These medications make the heartbeat slow down.
- Alpha- Blockers include Cardura, Minipress and Hytrin. These medications reduce nerve impulses and make vessels tighten.
- ACE- Inhibitors include Accupril, Capoten, Mavik, Vasotec, etc. These drugs help to lower the amount of Angiotensin II in the body and make blood vessel relaxed.
- ARBs include Avapro, Benicar, Cozaar, etc. These medications block the action of Angiotensin II and prevent blood vessels from tightening.
- Calcium Channel Blockers include Cardena, Norvasc, Sular, etc. These drugs prevent the entry of calcium into the muscle cells of the heart and the blood vessels.
- Central Agonists include Aldomet, Tenex, Catapres, etc. These drugs target the receptor of the brain to lower the blood pressure.
- Peripheral Acting Adrenergic Blockers include Ismelin, Hylorel and Serpasil. These medications target the nerve impulses to lower blood pressure.
- Direct Vasodilators include Loniten and Apresoline. These drugs help to relax the muscle in the blood vessel walls.
Finding the right medication depends on various factors like:
- How high your blood pressure is
- Cause of high blood pressure
- How you will respond to different HBP medications
- Any other health issues you have
Intake of anti-hypertension medications can cause some mild side effects such as diarrhea, coughing, erection problem, feeling nervous, headache, nausea and vomiting. In case any of these side effects getting worse, immediately contact your doctor.
Consult your doctor before taking HBP medications under the mentioned conditions:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding women, talk to your doctor before taking HBP medications as they cause severe side effects in the developing child.
- Never stop taking medications without confirming your doctor as it can cause a big spike in the blood pressure level.
- If you are taking insulin for diabetes, talk to your doctor as change in the blood sugar can occur in the people with diabetes.
- In case you have problem with erection during sensual intercourse, tell your doctor as some of these drugs can cause this problem. Either reducing the dose or changing the medication can help you out with this problem.
- Do not take any other prescribed or non-prescribed, over the counter medications and herbal therapies unless your doctor suggests you to take as these medications can cause undesirable side effects.
Contributed by www.mypillshop.com to aware people about high blood pressure.