Cinnamon, as you know is a widely popular herb used as spice for flavoring food. Cinnamon tree is an evergreen tree of the family Lauraceae. The bark of the tree is dried and sold in the form of ground powder in the market. The health benefits of cinnamon are not that unknown to us. Along with culinary use, cinnamon is one of the important home remedies for many ailments. Check this out.
- Cinnamon is known to give relief from indigestion problems such as stomach upset, flatulence, diarrhea and pelvic pain.
- It has been a traditional remedy for people suffering from cough and cold. Cinnamon tonic is known to alleviate the problems related to sneezing and running nose.
- Cinnamon powder mixed with honey is known to give a boost to immune system. Regular intake of the solution will strengthen your body and make it strong.
- If you are looking for weight loss, mix a spoon of cinnamon powder and honey in a glass of warm water and drink it regularly in empty stomach early in the morning. This will help in weight loss and prevent the accumulation of fat in your body.
- Are you suffering from acute arthritis pain? Apply cinnamon to the area topically to reduce the pain of arthritis.
- Women suffering from severe menstrual pain can get relief by taking cinnamon supplements or powder mixed in water.
But, the most amazing part of all, cinnamon is effective for controlling blood sugar levels in human body? Although, it is still a matter of debate among many! A recent research suggests that cinnamon may be helpful as supplement for treating type-2 diabetes.
Regular intake of cinnamon has shown increased insulin sensitivity and control over blood sugar levels. Improved insulin resistance aids in weight loss which decreases the chance of heart complications and diseases. There have been evidences where there are signs of improvements in blood pressure levels and cholesterol.
However, when it comes to take cinnamon supplements for diabetes, it is always safe to consult a physician, before you start. One must also remember that treatment of diabetes is a lifelong commitment and requires patience and time. By just taking cinnamon supplements it won't cure a person out of diabetes. Regular exercise, proper health diet and regular intake of cinnamon supplements will be needed to treat diabetes.
Although, there have been hardly any evidences to show complications of cinnamon but, too much of cinnamon can be harmful.
Basically, if you are looking forward to take cinnamon to eradicate common health problems of everyday life, here is a simple guide.
- Breakfast: One can sprinkle cinnamon powder over yoghurt, cereal or omelet and have them. It is healthy and increases the taste of food.
- Lunch: Add cinnamon powder over salad and have them. If you want a delicious spread, have cinnamon over walnuts and almonds, have them.
- Drinks: Enhance your cuppa by adding cinnamon in your tea or coffee. This will increase taste and give a different aroma.
- Dinner: Use cinnamon powder in your curries to increase taste and uplift its look.
Having cinnamon sprinkled on your ordinary food will turn them into healthy comfort food. You can have delicious taste and amazing health benefits at the same time.
If you have problems in adding cinnamon to your food or don't have time, take cinnamon supplements regularly to gain good health.
Cinnamon is a versatile spice. It can be used in a variety of purposes. Easily available, you can get cinnamon in most homes. Coupled with various health benefits, cinnamon is surely the much sought condiment and for the right purposes.