So you have opted to get Platelet Rich Plasma or PRP Therapy? That’s great news! To make sure you get nothing but the best PRP results, here are some dos and don’ts to keep in mind before you sign up for the treatment at the clinic nearest to you. To begin with, let’s reassure you that PRP therapy is one of the safest and most effective of treatments since the serum in the PRP injection is formulated out of your own blood. You need not worry about any possible side effects or allergies that can result from artificial medications and drugs.
Choose a Certified Practitioner for Perfect PRP Results
When looking around for a medical center where you can get the treatment, choose a clinic that has certified professionals. You can also check for testimonials from past patients. Remember an expert, well-trained therapist is likely to take all the necessary precautions to make sure you get the best PRP results possible.
- The doctor will conduct the entire procedure under extremely sterile conditions, so there is no possibility of infections.
- The serum is prepared in a highly sophisticated centrifugal device that separates the components of the blood. This PRP serum is administered as soon as it is ready to minimize any risk of contamination.
- Depending on the medical or aesthetic condition you’re looking to treat, in case you need more than one injection in subsequent sessions, an experienced doctor will opt to create a fresh batch of the serum each time. That’s because freezing and later thawing the serum for injections given a week apart may not give you the PRP results you’re looking for.
- When giving the injection, your physician will numb the area with topical anesthetics so that you feel the minimum of discomfort.
- To make sure that the PRP serum is placed at the precise post for maximum effect, the doctor guides the needle using an ultrasonic imaging device. For instance, if you’re getting treatment for arthritis, the PRP must be injected into the joint capsule. However, if you have opted for the procedure to erase the lines, wrinkles, and other signs of aging, the serum is injected just a few millimeters below the skin.
- In addition to taking the utmost care to perform the procedure, an expert physician will talk to you in detail about the precautions you must take.
You don’t need to follow any dietary restrictions for the most effective PRP results. In fact, it is recommended that you eat a balanced meal before arriving at the clinic and drink lots of water on the day before and on the scheduled date. However, you must avoid smoking and alcohol for three days prior to and after the treatment. That’s because smoking can affect how the Platelet Rich Plasma works in your body.
Medications to Avoid
Your physician will likely recommend that you avoid taking all anti-inflammatory and arthritis medications a week before your appointment. Some amount of swelling is beneficial for good PRP results. You must also stop taking corticosteroid drugs two to three weeks before the treatment while anticoagulants must be stopped 5 days in advance. As for the vitamins you’ve been taking, avoid them a week before the procedure. The only supplements you can take are iron and vitamin D. Post process, you can only take pain killers that are recommended by the doctor giving you the PRP injection.
Precautions for Hair Loss Treatment
For PRP injections to promote new hair growth, you can safely shampoo your hair the same morning and even get hair color up to three days before. After the PRP serum is injected into your scalp, you’ll be asked to refrain from touching your hair or shampooing for at least 12 hours after. Also, keep your hair protected from the sun by staying indoors for a couple of days. You can color your hair after three days.
Precautions for Anti-aging Treatment
PRP procedures work very well to erase the lines and wrinkles you see since it can stimulate the production of new collagen cells and boost the layer below the skin. To get the best PRP results, arrive without any makeup and try to leave your skin undisturbed for 24 hours after the treatment. This includes touching or washing your face. You must also avoid sun exposure by applying adequate sunscreen for the next three days. Keep your skin cool by avoiding hot showers, saunas, or hot baths. Also, protect it from possible chemical damage by staying away from the swimming pool or taking facials.
Take Adequate Rest
In case you’ve received the PRP injections in the joints like in the knee, hip, or ankle, take care to keep the area immobile while the healing takes place so you get the best PRP results. As your doctor will advise, you must avoid walking around too much or indulge in hectic workplace and home activities. If you must move, use crutches and braces. Remove any slings like for the elbow, only for showering or changing. To help with the swelling, apply cold compresses for 10 to 20 minutes for a few times for the next couple of days.
Maximizing Positive PRP Results
As with any other medical treatment, by taking a few simple precautions you can get the best results from the Platelet Rich Plasma injections you take. First developed for use in the sphere of dentistry, PRP is now being used to heal inflammations, injuries, and surgical incisions. Not only can the serum speed up healing, but it can also help eliminate scarring, hair loss, and signs of aging. That’s because PRP acts as the framework on which new tissue regenerates. Use the treatment, and you can improve your quality of life, good health, and great looks.