When it comes to using steam, baby oil, and moisturizer for skin care, you have a couple of choices. There are some simple ways to treat your skin naturally and without any complex treatments. If you have dry or sensitive skin, these methods will help give you a healthy and soft complexion.
Treating the Whole Body
Sometimes most of your skin can become dry. This is especially true during the winter months or if you like hot showers.
- First, wash yourself as you normally would. Make sure all the soap and shampoo is rinsed off of your body.
- Next, aim the shower head away from you. Turn up the hot water, this should start to fill the shower and bathroom with steam. Your pores will open up, and it is now time to replenish your skin.
- Add baby oil in small amounts over the necessary parts of your body. Pay attention to problem areas where you often have dry skin. Do not treat the bottoms of your feet, since this can be potentially dangerous.
- Once you are done, step out of the shower. Before you towel off, massage in some of your favorite moisturizer.
Treating Your Face
It is common for the facial area to become dry. If you only want to moisturize your face, there is an easy process that is faster and more convenient than the shower method.
- Fill a pan with about three inches of water at the bottom and bring it to a rapid boil. Adding more water is fine, and doing so will give you more time for the steam treatment.
- Once it is boiling, take a clean towel and drape it over your head. Slowly bend forward over the steam. Start fairly far away and slowly lean in closer until you feel comfortable. Be very careful to not burn yourself by getting too close.
- The towel should help keep the steam concentrated around your face. Three inches of water in the pan should give you about eight minutes of steam. At this point, your pores are opened and ready for the moisturizing treatments.
- Apply a small amount (about the size of a quarter) of baby oil to a cotton swab. Gently sweep the swab over your trouble areas.
- Next, take your favorite moisturizer and apply a dime sized amount to your face. Using circular motions, gently work the cream into your skin.
- If necessary, blot your face dry with a clean towel.
Things to Keep in Mind
- Wash your hands before touching your face
- Use clean towels to dry your skin
- Blot your skin dry, never rub a towel into your skin to dry it
- Adding a couple of drops of essential oil to your steam can create a relaxing aromatherapy session
Dry and/or sensitive skin can be successfully treated with steam, baby oil, and moisturizer. These methods will replenish your skin, restoring lost moisture from dry air, hot showers, or daily contaminants like pollution. Use this simple skin care strategy to keep your skin healthy and vibrant.
As a health buff, Sam Moser, the author of this article, has been exploring the benefits of natural UVB sunscreen and shaving cream.