Skin is the most sensitive area in the body. Any sort of problem on the skin can cause irritation and itching on the same. The epidermal layer of the skin can abrupt in some cases by means of some type of allergic reactions, the reaction by some chemical or by sunlight. Women are more sensitive to take care of their skin in comparison to males. There are some cases when there is development of acne on the skin. Acne is the ordinary source of a spot on the skin tissue and that too mostly on the epidermal layer. Most of the people have this problem of acne in the age group from 12 to 25 but somehow it affects older and younger people too. There is presence of small sebaceous glands that lie just under the skin surface and is responsible for the development of oil (sebum) that keeps your skin soft and smooth. Minute pores on the skin permit the sebum to come on to the exterior portion of the skin. In acne, much of these pores become fruitless, thereby causing tiny pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads. Benzoyl peroxide performs three actions – it kills the bacteria, reduces inflammation and helps to unplug the blocked pores. Benzoyl peroxide gel is a keratolytic agent with antibacterial actions. The effectiveness of Benzoyl peroxide appears to be due to its antibacterial, peeling (keratolytic), and drying actions.
How Benzoyl Peroxide works?
The anti-bacterial action of Benzoyl peroxide is probably related to its ability in the skin to release free radical oxygen. As Benzoyl peroxide is a lipophilic drug; it penetrates through the stratum corneum and enters the pilosebaceous follicle. It is rapidly broken down to benzoic acid hydrogen peroxide and generates free radicals that oxidize proteins in bacterial cell membranes exerting a bactericidal action. Benzoyl peroxide can reduce the free acid content of sebum which provides a useful marker for bacterial activity. The inflammatory action of the drug arises from its ability to kill polymorphonuclear leukocytes (PMN cells) in the pilosebaceous follicles by preventing the release of reactive oxygen species (ROS) such as peroxides which enhances tissue inflammation.
How to use Benzoyl Peroxide?
This medication is available in gel form of 5% strength. Wash your hands before and after applying this formulation. Clean the affected part where the medication is to be applied. Gently rub the area or gently massage the affected area with the formulation. Do not use any other product or formulation when this product is being used. It is mostly recommended to use this product during night time before sleeping.
In case you missed the dose of applying the formulation, apply it as soon as you remember. However, if it is time for next dose, continue with the regular dose and skip the missed dose.
In the case of overdose, contact your physician as soon as possible.
Storage Conditions for Benzoyl Peroxide:
This formulation is to be stored at room temperature; to be kept away from heat and moisture.
There are some possible side effects likely to occur while using this formulation such as dryness, feeling of warmth, irritation, itching, peeling, redness, stinging, and swelling of the skin.
Precautionary measures while using Benzoyl Peroxide:
There are some precautionary measures to be kept in mind while using Benzoyl peroxide formulation such as-
- Used for the topical purpose only. Avoid using the medication on nose, eyes and mouth or highly inflamed or damaged skin
- Avoid using the medication to sunburn area or on the area of wound
- Before using any special cleanser, shaving solution or any other cream, must consult your physician
- Benzoyl peroxide may cause your skin burn more easily. So avoid going in sunlight or any other area where your skin may be damaged
- This medication may cause bleaching, so avoid using this medication on your hair
- You must consult your doctor before using this medication during pregnancy and breast feeding
- Avoid using Dapsone products with this medicament as it affects the effectiveness of the drug
- Used with caution in children as safety and efficacy of this medication has not yet been conformed in the children
- Avoid using any type of herbal or dietary supplements and nonprescription medicines
- Do not use this formulation if you have allergies to food or some other substances
- Avoid using Benzoyl Peroxide if you are using any tretinoin products
- This formulation may cause your skin to become dry, avoid using any type of moisturizing cream