According to Wikipedia-masturbation represents the sexual stimulation of own genitals, usually to the point of orgasm. The stimulation can be performed using the hands, fingers, everyday objects, or dedicated sex toys.
There are very few people who don't masturbate (approx. 5-8% of the entire population). It was found that people who masturbate have higher sexual desire or have hang-ups about sex.
Advantages of Masturbation
1. People who masturbate have higher sexual desire, arousal and hang-ups about sex. A recent study showed they also have more sexual drive compared to those who don't.
2. Masturbation represents a safer alternative to classic sexual intercourse. Not only one does not have to support the costs and time to meet a consenting partner but this form of self-satisfaction is risk-free in terms of STDs such as HIV, hepatitis B and C, gonorrhea, chlamydia as well as other sexually transmitted diseases. Masturbation is also useful for women who want to discover their sexual response to prospective partners. For both men and women this practice is useful to release sexual tensions when aroused and there's no time to find a real partner.
3. Masturbation makes one familiar to his own sexual response while developing self-love and confidence.
These are basically the main advantages of masturbation.
Disadvantages of Masturbation
1. The feeling of being guilt for doing this activity. In fact there are many people who actually feel culpable for masturbating as they believe what they do is bad in terms of ethical and religious considerations.
2. During Masturbation, ecchymosis of the sexual organs can occur for both men and women, especially they use sexual toys and there is not enough lubrication. Not only will they cause lot of pain but one can get contaminated with germs leading to serious infections and health issues.
3. Masturbation can lead to serious mental side effects as it may cause dependence. Once dependent, some people find it very hard to give up with this habit. There are numerous instances where married couples encounter this problem and a partner usually finds it more exciting to masturbate instead of a sexual intercourse with one another. This may negatively affect the relationship. Is this the case where professional advice should be considered? I think yes.
There is also a tendency in adolescents to masturbate and entertain themselves whenever they have some free time.
4. Excessive masturbation may lead to premature ejaculation in men, in other words the male ejaculates just after the sexual intercourse has begun or, in some instances, before it has even begun.
5. Masturbation can become addictive. If one's entire existence is about masturbation, then there is something harmful and can lead to serious mental issues in time.
However, masturbation should not be considered wicked, sinful and abnormal and you should not feel guilt for what you do unless this practice became addictive and detrimental to your relationship and for the normal sexual intercourse. Masturbation is acceptable as a part of healthy development especially for adolescents and people below 35 years old.