Fort Worth is the fifth-largest city in the U.S. state of Texas and the 13th-largest city in the United States. It is the county seat of Tarrant County, covering nearly 350 square miles (910 km2) into three other counties: Denton, Parker, and Wise. According to the 2018 census estimates, Fort Worth’s population is 895,008. Fort Worth is the second-largest city in the Dallas–Fort Worth–Arlington metropolitan area, which is the 4th most populous metropolitan area in the United States.
Asphalt paving is an excellent choice for any property in Fort Worth because of the specific dry climate, both commercial and residential. Asphalt offers a durable surface for heavy vehicles and an attractive color that works well outside residential homes of all styles and tones. Asphalt paving is also relatively inexpensive!
If your property needs new pavement or if you’re in charge of paving public roadways, you might note some commonly asked questions about asphalt paving. This information will ensure you know everything there is to know about asphalt, its installation, and its maintenance throughout the years and can make the best choice possible for your property’s paving needs.
How Durable is Asphalt Paving?
Homeowners and property owners often want to know about the durability and benefits of asphalt paving in Fort Worth TX, especially as compared to concrete, gravel, and other paving surfaces. Each material has its own pros and cons, so you might note some added information about these choices and then you can decide the best one for your property.
- Concrete might tend to get brittle and then crack or otherwise suffer damage as it freezes and expands and then thaws and shrinks. Asphalt is softer than concrete and doesn’t tend to suffer as much damage through this freeze-thaw cycle.
- Since asphalt is softer and has more “give” than concrete, it might not tend to buckle and heave as the ground expands under it. If your property is prone to flooding or has any drainage issues, you might notice more issues with chipped or uneven concrete than you would with asphalt.
- Gravel roads are typically compacted so that rocks and chips don’t simply fly around under car tires, but gravel does tend to come loose over time. Asphalt or a tar and chip driveway for a property reduces the risk of flying debris and resultant property damage.
- Asphalt absorbs sound waves for a quieter outside environment than concrete and other materials. A quieter environment is important for properties with large delivery trucks but you might also appreciate this benefit of asphalt if you have children who play outside and if you’re choosing material for a tennis or basketball court.
- The dark color of asphalt cuts down on glare even on the brightest of summer days. This is an excellent reason to choose asphalt paving.
- The bumpier the pavement, the more traction offered to vehicles! While concrete is not necessarily smooth, asphalt is known for its added texture and, in turn, increased traction for cars and trucks.
It’s also worth noting that asphalt paving in Fort Worth is often far cheaper than concrete due to local regulations. For large commercial properties and homeowners on a budget, choosing asphalt over concrete means saving money, while having a driveway or roadway more durable than gravel and other loose materials.
What Causes Asphalt Paving Deterioration?
One of the best ways to avoid otherwise unnecessary asphalt repair is to ensure you take proper care of that material and avoid anything that might cause deterioration and early breakdown. For example, motor oil and other such fluids are very damaging to asphalt, breaking down its petroleum-based binders. Fertilizers and other chemicals also tend to cause damage.
Regular pressure washing or street sweeping of asphalt is an excellent way to avoid deterioration. Power washing cleans away motor oil and other corrosive materials quickly and easily, protecting asphalt from damage while also cooling its surface and keeping it from becoming brittle.
Performing minor asphalt repairs as needed also helps to avoid premature damage. Neglected chips, cracks, and potholes hold water and other corrosive materials, leading to damage of the lower layers of asphalt. Prompt, professional repairs of minor damage helps to avoid major holes and chips and more expensive repairs.
Exposure to harsh sunlight and extreme weather conditions as well as standing water tends to damage asphalt. Regular seal coating protects pavement, blocking harsh sunlight and allowing for water runoff, avoiding early damage.
Is Asphalt an Eco-Friendly Choice for Paving?
Some property owners might be under the mistaken impression that asphalt is not very eco-friendly, perhaps because it’s constructed with petroleum based binders. However, many asphalt materials manufacturers use recycled asphalt roofing shingles and pavement in construction of new asphalt, keeping those old materials out of landfills.
Note, too, that concrete trucks need to keep running in order to mix new concrete continuously as it’s applied. Running a concrete truck for several hours if not even days while new roads and parking lots are poured means more fumes and pollution! While asphalt rollers might create fumes and pollution as they run, this is typically far less than larger concrete mixers that stay in operations during almost the entire installation process.
How Do You Find the Best Asphalt Paving Contractor in Fort Worth?
It’s vital that a homeowner or commercial property owner choose the best asphalt paving contractor in Fort Worth, as poor-quality installation often means early breakdown and otherwise unnecessary repairs down the road. Asphalt paving also requires precise skill and knowhow and is not a job for a general contractor!
First ensure you choose an asphalt paving contractor that specializes in paving as well as asphalt repairs, and opt for someone local rather than a national franchise. A locally owned asphalt paving company will be familiar with the challenges presented by hot Texas weather and how this affects asphalt overall.
When deciding between asphalt paving companies in Fort Worth, ensure you pick one that offers various grades and other choices of asphalt, and that does a full inspection of your property before creating a quote. This ensures that you can choose the right asphalt type and thickness for your needs. Your asphalt paving will then last for many years to come!