Moroccan Wall – The Berm of Western Sahara

One of the most complex-mapped on the planet is Western Sahara. Since 1975, as a disputed territory, it has appeared on most Western maps and can be described as a polygon shoved between the two lands of Morocco and Mauritania on the northwest African coast. However, the solution is actually much clearer on the ground but considered as the most politically ambiguous thing.


The de-facto incorporation in Morocco is highly influenced into controlling the Western Sahara and it is counted on approximately 75% of the whole portion and the other 25% (also called the free zone) is controlled by the Polisario Front. The recognized Sahrawi people from the United-Nations and also considered as the SADR (Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic). In Tindouf (which is located in Algeria), the SADR claimed that the largest city of Laâyoune is the capital. Both above groups are demanding since the abandoned the area in 1975 (it was also the exchange period of Spain and Mauritania for resources) and also considered this claim on an international level for somehow. The Polisario declares that the habitually nomadic people of Western Sahara have a right to a vote on freedom.

Moroccans are directly controlling the portions of Western Sahara and are incorporated into the kingdom of Morocco with the functions such as the very large population count now consists of Moroccans who reside in this area for a time. In determining the boundaries of Western Sahara, eventually, the boundaries of Morocco are subverted on an international level. This issue was not talked by many in the world community, considering this as a peaceful resolution. In the 58 countries, the SADR has been recognized as a self-determination. 44 counties are on the side of Moroccans claim’s rightness including the United States, France, Russia, and China. In the recognition of SADR by The African Union but subsequently, Morocco is not as a part or member of the union.

Moroccan Wall
A 2700-km long, one-to-three-meter high earthen wall backed by a channel since 1980’s and surrounded by shelters, barriers and landmines has detached the part of Western Sahara organized by Morocco from the eastern Free Zone (reflected by Morocco to be a buffer zone; in turn, the Moroccan-controlled territory is deliberated by the SADR to be engaged territory).

From 1980 to 1987, the construction of the wall was completed in six progressive waves, with the wall scheme gradually moving south from Morocco until it finally stretched to the Mauritania, completely relegating Polisario to the far east of Western Sahara and all major towns in the area lie along the coast, on the Moroccan side.

This wall is equipped with all along airfields, artillery ports, the berm lie forts, and radar stations to sense artillery fire from the other side. The stalemate of the military was created that has mostly remained to this day.

While the wall was built to keep out the forces of guerrillas, it has also helped to keep Sahrawi’s from accessing the majority of Western Saharan land. With the 165,000 displaced Sahrawi’s living in Algeria within refugee camps where concern to the UN High Commissioner were 90,000 for Refugees, incapable of returning to lands they engaged before the end of Spanish rule in the 1976-1977 early invasion of the region. Additional 20,000 refugees live in Mauritania for a long time.

The Berm of Western Sahara

Such a historical information can only be gathered while visiting the land of mystery in your Morocco holidays. Morocco has a thousand years old history with a lot of incidents that can surprise you after knowing such more details.

Contributed byhttp://www.viriksonmoroccoholidays.co.uk/

If you have any questions, please ask below!