Kids worry that braces might hurt, they will get teased about, and they will have to give up sweets or have a metal band stuck on their teeth for the rest of their life. But it is time you change these thoughts and help them have a better smile.
What are Braces?
First of all, braces are tools in the hands of the operator that is an orthodontist. Braces are fixed appliances usually composed of brackets and wires designed to properly position the teeth, correct misaligned bites and fix the structural issues with the jaw.
Types of Braces
There are several kinds of braces that your child could use:
- Clear or Invisible Braces and Aesthetic Braces
- Lingual or Incognito Braces
- Metal or Traditional Metal Braces
- Self-legating Damon Braces
How to Convince My Child to Wear Braces in 7 Ways?
- Braces for Aligned Teeth
Your child may need braces if their teeth are crooked, overlapping, or overcrowded teeth, or a bad bite (known as malocclusion).
Sometimes tooth and jaw problems can be cause by losing baby teeth too early, accidents, or habits like thumb sucking. They could also be inherited.
Help your child understand that his teeth need to look better and feel better. And leaving improper teeth could serve as a house of germs.
- Enlist Their Favorite Celebrity
Kids are mostly worried that they would be teased for wearing braces. You can show pictures of various celebrities who wear braces or who used to wear braces; now flaunt their stunning smiles. You might get lucky if their favorite stars still wear braces or wore braces at one point.
You could also show images of their previous teeth and present teeth shape to convince them. A few examples could be Katy Perry, Kelly Clarkson, Gwen Stefani, and Miley Cyrus.
- Give Tem Options To Choose From
You should check out various options for braces and share them with your child. For example: You could ask them to chose their favorite color and get braces made for them or if they don’t want their braces to be visible, you could get clear braces made up for them.
Be sure that you make your child a part of the braces selection process as it would make them feel less like it’s something being forced on them. After all, they have to wear the braces, not you!
- Throw a Party
You could convince your child by throwing a pre-braces party. Adding chocolates, cakes, pizzas, burgers and many other kinds of eateries, a few days prior to the meeting with the orthodontist, would really get your child to approve the idea of getting braces on.
Similarly, you could throw a post-braces party. And instead of having junk food, you could add up braces-friendly foods. Pastas like macaroni and cheese, fruits, cooked vegetables, desserts like ice-cream and cake are perfect for children with braces.
- Scare Them Straight
If you are at total loss, consider showing your kid pictures of crooked, misaligned teeth. The simple fact is that no one wants to have an ugly smile, and braces fix some of the largest and most common alignment issues.
You could tell your child that if they didn’t get braces fixed on their teeth, then they could end up with crooked and weird looking teeth. In fact you could let them know the fact that the earlier they get the alignment issues corrected, it is better; as later on it could be incurable or even more painful.
- Tell Them the Benefits of Braces
You should make them under the benefits of braces. And should clear out why they should have a line of miniature buttons stuck on their teeth.
Benefits of Braces could include points like:
- A Better Bite: A misaligned bite can put stress on the teeth and the muscles around the jaw, causing jaw pain, headaches, TMJ (temporomandibular joint) issues, jaw bone deterioration, and increased risk of chipping or breaking teeth. And of course food won’t get stuck up in between the teeth. Braces can correct these issues, alleviating pain and allowing your mouth and jaw to function properly.
- Easier Brushing and Flossing: Germs would not be able to hide behind any tooth as brushing and flossing become easier, reducing plaque buildup, tooth decay and other issues. Neither will toothbrushes nor flossing threads get stuck between teeth or hurt gums.
- Decreased Risk of Periodontal Disease: Periodontal disease, or gum disease is caused by the bacterial infections by germs that weaken and damage the teeth, tooth roots and jaw. The gums also will have a more secure grip on the teeth when there is proper tooth alignment, so there is less space for bacteria to enter in your gums.
- Reduced Overall Health Risks: The infection associated with periodontal disease can spread and lead to a heart disease, stroke, and pneumonia. When you reduce the risk of the gum disease, you reduce the likelihood of having a myriad of other health problems.
- A Healthier, Happier You: Straight teeth are one of the most well-known benefits of braces, and also offer a variety of other health benefits as well. Plus, braces can make you feel more confident, which is great for the emotional and mental health.
- Humor on Braces
There are so many humor quotes made up on braces. You can Google them, and laugh about the funny quotes along with your child. In fact, both of you together might be able to create jokes on braces and laugh upon them.
Now you know the hacks to convince your child to get braces on their teeth. Your child’s smile is not the only concern for you. Of course you will care about their health too. Hence, you should now try to prompt your child to get braces for their teeth and health as well.
Life is like a mirror, we get the best results when we smile at it.