Whether you have newly taken up art and craft or have been doing it for some time, art supplies are essential. Now, there is no end to the number or the types of art supplies that you can get. It is inevitable that you will immediately fall in love with some of the supplies. The other fact is that some supplies can be tricky to use. If your child is using them, be sure to supervise while they are working. The type of supplies will differ based on what kind of art and craft you are creating. So, keep that in mind when you go shopping.
There is no specific requirement to rush out for purchasing art supplies. But having some essentials can turn your dull and monotonous day into something more fun. Take a look at some of the essential art supplies that you will gradually want to amass.
- Scissors – You require a pair of scissors for cutting fine details but if you are a little crafter then having a safety scissor is important. If you get a scrapbooking scissor at an affordable price or on sale, grab it right away. With the scissors, you can give an attractive edge to the paper which will give your project a polished look.
- Glue Gun – the Hot glue will dry up very fast as well as offer a stronghold. It is exclusively for parental use.
- Sticky Supplies – Today, glue comes in different varieties including washi tape that can peel off easily, double-sided tape that will provide a professional touch, glitter glue with no sparkle spills, glue stick which is good for tissue paper, the tacky glue which is excellent for felt and white glue.
- Paper Products – Shoe boxes, cereal boxes and toilet paper rolls can be transformed easily into dioramas, skyscrapers, musical instruments and more. Get hold of a colourful variety of tissue paper, craft paper, blank paper, and construction paper. The best part is a patterned card can turn a weird creation into something cool right away.
- Building Materials – Toothpicks, Styrofoam balls, and wooden spoons can work wonders in building anything creative.
- String – Strings are also one of the essential craft supplies. Ribbons, embroidery floss, and kitchen twine will help in tying it all together uniformly.
- Trimmings – It is good to collect fun fur, felt, doilies, googly eyes, feathers, pipe cleaners, pompoms and creative bits of nature such as pine cones, twigs or shells. By merely using glue you can utilise it.
- Sparking Supplies – Collect metallic confetti, sequins, and glitter for taking your craft into another level.
- Paint Brushes and Paints – You can pick from a wide variety of paints such as watercolours. After choosing the colour, you can buy the other paint accessories like the canvas, pans, brushes, and others.
- Crayons – Every crafter and art loves needs crayons. It does not matter whether you have kids at home or not. You can easily find different types of pencils at your local store.
- Sewing/Thread/Fabric – You can add fabric to any craft project for that matter. If you use materials, then you will need a sewing machine and colourful threads as well.
- Cleaning Items – Post completion of the project you will require cleaning items for a clean-up. Here using baby wipes can help to remove stains from the work surface.
- Storage – After having the supplies, you will also need some storage space. Buy containers for cardstock, sequins, stamps, etc. It will help you save time and keep your things organised and make your crafting process easier.
If you have just started doing art and craft, a good idea will be to find out what about the must-have art supplies. Talk to your art teacher to get an idea. Do you have a friend, relative or neighbour who is a pro at this? Well, then you must not hesitate to reach out to them and ask for advice about the necessary art supplies. Investing in art supplies requires a considerable amount of investment. So, that makes it all the more vital for you to know what to buy and what you can skip for now. Once you become a regular crafter, you can invest more and add to your collection.
If you are a crafter, you should have enough supply on hand whenever that creative bug strikes. Make it a point to always carry a few of the necessary supplies with you. You never know when inspiration can hit you, so always be prepared. Here, having the right tools such as those mentioned above is essential for making that creative magic take place. Keeping yourself well-stocked with the essentials will help. A good time to buy the supplies is during the back-to-school sale at stores where there are many options.