The storage industry in this country is huge. In fact, it is not just a multi-billion dollar industry, it is an industry that occupies a huge amount of space as well. If you are looking for storage containers yourself, then there are a few things that you have to look for in particular.
Top Things to Look for
- Check out the security. Most people don't put items of tremendous value in storage containers, but that doesn't mean you are ok with it getting stolen either. After all, if you didn't want it anymore, you wouldn't store it but sell it or give it away. Storage companies will generally have locking systems, sometimes even using their own brands. Others will have security staff in place.
- Check out the sizes. There are generally small containers (10 foot), medium sized models (20 foot) and large ones (40 foot). Some places will also hire out different sizes, but those are the most common.
- Look into rust resistance. Generally speaking, companies will use stainless steel, which means it doesn't corrode. However, it is worth asking just to be on the safe side.
- Check what the doors are like. Are you able to easily access your container? You should also look into any special fittings that are included on the doors.
- You might be able to choose some customization options. For instance, you may be able to actually convert your container into a lab, class room or office. This is why they are also often found on church grounds, construction sites and schools. They can also be climate controlled, which is important not just if you want to use it for something other than storage, but also if you want to store items that could get damaged due to environmental contact.
- Find out whether you will have to store on location, or whether the company offers portable storage. With portable storage, the container will be delivered straight to your door, which is much easier in terms of filling it up.
- Most of the time, people rent their storage containers. This does mean that you have to properly understand the terms and conditions of your rental agreement, particularly if you want to shorten or extend your rental period.
- Make sure you always keep your receipts, as you may be able to use it as a tax write off.
- Always look into whether the company has received any good or bad reviews. Most companies will have at least some negative reviews, and it is the way they have handled those that is most important. Various sources are good for checking out reviews, including Yelp and the Better Business Bureau.
- Never agree to rent a container before you have seen it. Have a look for things like rust spots, where it is located, whether the door opens and closes properly, whether the locks are in place etc. This will make sure that you actually get what you pay for.
You must log in to post a comment.