Kids love dressing up for Halloween since it is the only time of the year that they have full permission to go out as anything they want. They feel invincible with their costumes on. Children are very inventive when it comes to picking a fancy costume for their trick or treating, and sometimes it can often leave you with an empty pocket because their costumes can become very expensive. Simple Halloween masks turn into a hefty burden for you in the long run, since your kids will only be wearing them for an hour or two on the street. So how will you be able to set boundaries with your children?
Here are 5 ways to save money on Halloween costume accessories, and at the same make your child enjoy with what they already have that is within your budget:
- Sit down and talk with them about boundaries that you have set early on – If your child is old enough to understand, explain to them properly and clearly that you have already set a budget for their costume. Children are very smart and resourceful, as long as you give them something to work with that they can eventually recycle and make use of, they will think of a way to make it work with their costume. Come to an understanding with them that way you save money, and at the same time, your child is happy.
- Check DIY shops, Thrift stores or online websites – There are a lot of good costumes that you can find at thrift stores or DIY stores that you can buy for half the price. You can also search for a Halloween costumes online, costumes that you can find at websites are also a lot cheaper and safer, plus it will also allow your child to pick the best costumes there are, just remember to put it on the page that is within your budget so that your kid knows that he is only set for that part of the website to search for costumes.
- Recycle old costumes – Old costumes can actually come in handy, especially if you are running out of time to search for a costume. If your kid is very young, then it won’t be very hard for you to put them in the same outfit they wore the previous year. But if your kid is becoming very smart and would definitely notice that you provided them with the same costume, then it is time for you to be creative and make sure that they do not notice. Make up goes a long way when it comes to these things, so if for example they were already a zombie the previous year and for this year they want to be something else, you can make use of old clothes or old bed sheets then add a little make up to make it spooky, your kid won’t notice a thing.
- Look for wholesale stores with discounted Halloween items – there are a lot of stores that you can shop from that offer discounts when it comes to Halloween costumes that your kid will enjoy. Bring your kids with you when you shop at these stores so that they can pick what they want.
- Don’t go for common looking costumes – Older kids will intentionally want something that not a lot of people will wear, so it is advisable to not go with the latest fads. Costumes deteriorate over time, and as soon as the latest designs come out, the prices surge and become very expensive. So if you are looking for a budget friendly costume, make sure that it is something your child will like and at the same time fit your pocket.