At a certain point in your career, you get the gumption and nerve to finally go for it and launch your new business venture. Whether you have an idea for a new app or website, the idea has been percolating in your imagination long enough where you finally decide to take the leap of faith and make your vision a reality.
Just tune into shows like Shark Tank and The Profit and you will see that its not easy running a successful company. It’s going to take a lot of courage and discipline to wake up every day and make stuff happen. This can be quite daunting not only because of fear of the unknown, but when you are not getting a paycheck, the stress can begin to loom heavy.
Keeping yourself motivated to keep pushing forward when times get tough is going to be critical if you want to reach your goals. This is why it is crucial that you have some ways to keep yourself mentally sharp. Things like reading books or going to seminars can be very helpful because you can always glean insights from these materials. But when you need a quick burst of inspiration, one way is by reading quotes about motivation.
These famous words have the power to shift your mindset when you otherwise might feel like giving up. As an entrepreneur, every day you are going to be faced with difficulties that you might feel like throwing in the towel. So when that happens, have some quotes ready that you can use to keep you going when all hope is lost.
Here are 5 quotes new tech startups can learn something from:
- “You cry and you scream and you stomp your feet and you shout. You say, ‘You know what? I’m giving up, I don’t care.’ And then you go to bed and you wake up and it’s a brand new day, and you pick yourself back up again.” – Nicole Scherzinger
This quote has two important messages for entrepreneurs: The first is that when something goes wrong, when it first happens, you feel like its the end of the world. You want to throw a tantrum and feel sorry for yourself because it feels like all hop has been lost. But the truth is that when you wake up the next day, all of a sudden when the fear has subsided, new ideas to solve those problems can manifest and all of a sudden, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. So the lesson here is that when things go wrong, don’t be so quick to react in a negative way.
- “There is a huge difference between failing and failure. Failing is trying something that you learn doesn’t work. Failure is throwing in the towel and giving up. True success comes from failing repeatedly and as quickly as possible, before your cash or your willpower runs out.” – Jay Samit
As a leading tech executive for companies such as Microsoft, Apple, Intel, and IBM, Mr. Samit knows what it means to try many things and “fail”. Every entrepreneur must learn to fail because it is an endeavor you will experience on a weekly basis. Learning how to “learn from your mistakes” is going to be one of the most critical skills you must master if you want to become a successful entrepreneur.
- “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Self doubt is just par for the course of becoming an entrepreneur. Everyday you are going to doubt yourself and even worse, start to listen to negative people around you. Sure, it is important to keep an open mind and hear what others have to say. But at the end of the day, you must stay true to yourself.
- “People are always blaming circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who get ahead in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can’t find them, make them.” – George Bernard Shaw
Here is a powerful quote that outlines the importance of creating your own destiny. Don’t sit around and wait for circumstances to be right before you take action. Go out into the world and make it happen regardless of the situation. Just look at people like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and Mark Zuckerberg and you will see that none of the waited for things to be just right. They just did what needed to be done to push their company to the top every day inch by inch.
- “Never give up on something that you can’t go a day without thinking about.” – Winston Churchill
In this quote from the former Prime Minister, Mr. Churchill eloquently calls out the importance of passion. When you truly find your passion in life, you will think about it constantly. It becomes your obsession. Therefore, if it is truly your calling, you will never give up on it. You will keep pushing when the going gets tough and find a solution to your challenges no matter what the obstacle may be.
Just remember that when you decided to become an entrepreneur, you signed up for the challenges that they will bring you so have fun with them and use them to make you a better person.