According Adell (1998), new technologies of information and communication are “the set of devices, tools, supports and channels for the management, treatment, access and distribution of information based on the digital encoding and the use of electronic and optical communications. ”
To Cabero (1996) new technologies have the following characteristics:
– The immateriality is understood from two perspectives: the consideration that the raw material is information and the possibility to create without the existence of an external reference messages.
– The instantaneity as rupture of the temporal and spatial barriers of nations and cultures.
– The innovation in pursuing new technologies aimed at improving the exchange and the qualitative and quantitative improvement of predecessor technologies.
– Possession of high levels of quality and reliability.
– The ease of handling and distributing information.
– The high chances of be interconnected.
Martinez (1996, 102) identified by new technologies “to all those media and information processing emerging from the union of the advances brought about by the development of electronic technology and conceptual tools, both known, as any other they go being developed as a result of using the same technologies and the advance of human knowledge “.
The technology has meant considerable changes in the development of different areas of human activity; but the school has not been affected in the same way. However, the computer can initiate a profound change in the learning process if the initial resistance are exceeded. To move in this direction, it highlights the following aspects of the use of new technologies in educational settings:
– The pedagogical use of new technologies by teachers is a fundamental to promote and develop the potential that new media have in order to encourage higher quality learning pillar.
– Teachers are active subjects who have their own understanding of their practice, and their ideas and professional skills shape the nature of their use of different media and educational programs.
– To facilitate the use of new media must create the right conditions for the clarification of the functions, and the educational purposes contributions.
– The educational use of media requires take great care strategies teacher training. Such strategies must include various types of training.