Life is full of surprises, not all of them welcome. When you’ve been injured due to someone else’s negligence, you’re entitled to compensation for the time and money you spend fixing what went wrong. Unfortunately, insurance companies don’t always see it this way, and will try to withhold compensation from the victims of accidents.
Personal injury attorneys specialize in getting insurance companies and other parties to properly compensate the victims of accidents. They can represent people who did not cause the accident, and even people who were at fault but their own insurance is unwilling to compensate for damages. Here are the most common reasons people hire personal injury lawyers:
- Automobile and Traffic Accidents: Over 30,000 people die in automobile accidents every year in the United States. Those who are lucky enough to survive can find themselves drowned in paperwork from doctors and insurance companies, just trying to get their life back to the way it was. When insurance companies refuse to pay victims of automobile and pedestrian accidents, it’s time to call a lawyer who specializes in person injury.
- Medical Malpractice: Sadly, medical malpractice suits have become synonymous with "ambulance chasing," but a Harvard study found 97% of malpractice suits have merit. Doctors and other medical professionals can and do make mistakes, and while it may have been an accident, your pain and suffering should be compensated. Malpractice resulting in short, long-term or permanent injury can be assessed by a personal injury attorney if the insurance companies refuse to pay or pay too little.
- Dog Bites: Pet attacks in general are a sadly common reason to need a personal injury lawyer. People love their pets and most don’t mind having them around, but sometimes pets and dogs especially act out of our wishes and attack people. Injuries and trauma sustained by pet attacks should not be your responsibility and you should be compensated, no matter how unfortunate the event.
- Drug Recalls: When a drug is found to be harmful, there is typically a recall and the possibility of compensation for the victims. Because they are often such large cases, these companies will try to settle as many individual cases for as little as possible to offset the whole cost of a recall. Hiring a personal injury lawyer will help you have a voice against the big companies who made the bad drug to begin with, including all the red tape and low-ball settlements they may throw at you.
Why Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
If you’ve been a victim of the events listed above or any other case of personal injury, don’t hesitate to get representation. Besides seeking quick and thorough medical evaluation following the accident, getting a lawyer is the best thing you can do to ensure proper compensation for your injury. How does a lawyer help?
- The majority of personal injury attorneys are paid by contingency fees, meaning they don’t get paid until your case is won or settlement is finalized.
- Personal injury lawyers can represent your case objectively and provide constructive legal advice. Sometimes the emotions surrounding an incident prevent us from seeing all the facts, and having someone removed from the situation representing us cuts back on the risk of saying something which may be harmful to the case.
- Years of experience working with insurance companies, corporations and the legal system make a personal injury lawyer truly invaluable to your case. Fighting a case on your own is a huge undertaking requiring hours of paperwork and phone calls to people who don’t want to pay you what you deserve. Lawyers are well equipped with the experience and education necessary to take on these sensitive cases.
You Deserve Compensation
While there may be insurance companies and other institutions out there trying to withhold justice from the victims of accidents and crimes, it’s good to know personal injury lawyers are there too, ready to defend us. If you’ve been injured in an accident, even if it was your fault, but haven’t gotten the compensation you deserve, call a personal injury lawyer today.