If you are a cyclist, you surely know that you are especially vulnerable if you are involved in an accident, which is considered almost as a collision due to the fact that the cyclist gets a direct impact on the body in case of an accident.
Has your accident been in an urban area? Many vehicles are NOT going to respect your rights or traffic regulations, and the worst part is always yours.
Have you had an accident on an interurban highway? The harmful consequences are usually much more serious and sometimes lead to the death of the cyclist.
What to do if you have a bike accident?
- Make sure you can show the fault of the opponent, calling the Police to raise the statement or signing a friendly agreement with the other party.
- You receive the first medical assistance as soon as possible by going to a hospital, and always within 72 hours after the accident has occurred.
- If you are evacuated by an emergency medical unit without being able to state your version of the accident, go as soon as you can to give a statement to prevent the opponent from taking the opportunity to change the facts and blame you.
- If possible, take photos and take data from witnesses who can declare how the events occurred.
- Find out what steps you should take as soon as possible by contacting a bicycle accident law firm.
Bicycle accident attorneys are people who fully know the laws and regulations that govern cycling practice; they also understand what it means to suffer a serious injury from rolling over or any other cause, which can cause total or permanent disability in the person and prevent them from continuing to live as they did until that tragic moment of the accident.
Fortunately, there are legal professionals who are dedicated to protecting the interests of victims of these types of accidents and who fight to obtain compensation according to their physical and financial needs. Facing just one case like this is not advisable, because insurance companies are firms whose profits increase as they pay less.
You cannot expect that by filing a personal injury claim or claiming compensation for physical harm, insurance firms will grant you everything you ask for. They will seek the smallest detail related to the accident to try to ignore or downplay your injuries, medical treatment needs, and compensation for loss of employment.
Bicycle accident attorneys will ensure that insurers do not detract from the rights of victims of a bicycle accident and pay what is actually their responsibility for paying. Lawyers advise and represent cyclists at all stages of the administrative process before insurance companies and the court, if necessary.
They intervene in the process for medical treatment, the process for paying bills and they can negotiate on the best terms for the client with insurance companies. This prevents insurance from underestimating the claim and forcing you to come to a disadvantageous settlement.
While bicycle accident attorneys are charged with defending you against the insurance company, you can take the time you need to restore your health and rebuild your life. They have the experience and resources to get you the compensation you deserve.
How Bicycle accident attorneys can help you?
Bicycle accident attorneys take care of the following for you and your case:
- Locate all insurance coverages that can help you while identifying all those responsible for the accident for the purposes of the claim and/or lawsuit.
- Document the case with police reports, medical reports, lost wages, property damage, physical and emotional injuries.
- Keep the client informed about the status of the case and help him with the medical attention he/she requires from the company that provides the treatment and rehabilitation service.
- Investigate and build a case from scratch that proves the guilt of the person responsible for the accident.
- Advise the client to make the best decisions on the case.
- Negotiate a satisfactory agreement for the client with the insurance company.
For more details, click here.
Causes of bicycle accidents
Negligent or distracted drivers can cause a bicycle accident in many ways and injure a cyclist. Here we mention some of them:
- Driving at high speed and aggressively
- Incorrect lane change
- Driving tired
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Distraction with mobile phones while driving
- Slipping and skidding on wet or snowy pavement.
The most common bicycle accident injuries are brain trauma, head injury, spinal injury, broken bone, limb loss, or amputation.
Bicycle accident attorneys and personal injury attorneys frequently handle these types of accidents with a high degree of probability of success for clients in serious or fatal injury cases.