It is true that personal injury claims include a plethora of situations and an array of accident types. You might be someone unfortunate who has been bitten by your neighbor’s dog or injured in a car accident or you may have even slipped and tripped on to someone’s property. All such minor to major accidents are called personal injury and the extent of the accident and the loss have made a huge difference in the processing of the claim.
While there are certain situations when you can prefer to handle such cases on your own through assistance from the Small Claims Court (if the personal injury happened in UK), there are some other times too when you would require seeking advice of a trustworthy and legitimate professional who deals with personal injury claims. You may read on to know what it is to manage your case on your own, seek help of a lawyer and what situations may push you to seek help of such a lawyer.
Handling your own personal injury accident case – Is self help the best help?
There are times when you give in efforts to handle the case on your own but very soon you realize that it is beyond your legal knowledge and that it is better to seek help of a lawyer. This does nothing but complicates the entire process of personal injury claim and hence it is important for you to realize your capability and measure the thing that is at stake in case you are not able to handle your case.
This is almost like suffering from a disease and not consulting a doctor with the hope that you can manage on your own. This worsens the condition of the disease and makes things worse in the process. Hence, if you’re unsure about what you should do and how you should handle a claim, you should be immediately consulting an attorney without much hesitation.
Hiring a personal injury lawyer – Why should you do so?
Technically, you must be able to file a personal injury claim against your insurance carrier company and there are people who prefer doing this even when they’ve gone through minor injuries which are nothing to worry about. They do this when they have enough time to go through the process of legal claims and do everything themselves. Not seeking help of an attorney will also save some of your dollars in fees.
On the other hand, when you are helped by an accident lawyer, he can hold your hands and push you up to the next level where you can stand against some of the biggest auto insurance companies and their personal team of attorneys. The attorney whom you hire will be well aware of the laws pertaining to personal injury and the procedural rules and can therefore tackle all legal work on your behalf. Through the entire case, he/she will play the role of an advocate. So, for people who have gone through severe injuries, are faced with hefty medical bills and have experienced loss of wages due to the accident, hiring a lawyer is the best choice.
Potential situations when you can seek help of a personal injury lawyer
There are times when the skills of an experienced lawyer and his presence matter a lot to the insurance companies. Take a look at some of the accidents and injuries when you surely need an attorney’s help:
- Injuries which lead to permanent disabilities: There are some unfortunate accidents which lead to injuries that harshly affect and restrain your physical abilities for a long time or forever. But deciding how much serious an injury is can be a tough business for you and for this you may hire a personal injury attorney to get the most out of the claim.
- Injuries which are severe: The extent of your accident compensation is usually decided upon how much the injuries were severe. The medical bills that you’re paying decide the severity of the injuries, the type of injury which you have and the span of time that you take to recover. With the increase in the amount of potential compensation, the range of compensation also becomes wider.
- Exposure to toxic chemicals: Today’s world is increasingly chemical and there are times when we may fall ill due to being exposed to contaminants in soil, air, water or even in food. Such claims are difficult to prove as they need complex scientific proof. As it is the chemical industries have tried their level best to safeguard themselves and hence in order to win a claim against them, you would definitely need expert help.
- When an insurer denies payment: Irrespective of the nature of the injury and the amount you have to pay on medical bills, there are times when you would still want to get professional help. This happens when an insurance company or a federal agency refused to make any settlement with you. In such cases of unnecessary harassment, it is better to have a lawyer by your side.
- Medical malpractices: If you’ve suffered from an illness or injury due to unprofessional and careless treatment of a doctor, hospital, nurse, laboratory or clinic, both the legal procedures and the medical questions are way too complex for a layman. Then you would certainly require a lawyer who has an experience in cases like medical malpractices.
The secret of finding a good personal injury lawyer
One of the best ways of looking for legitimate and expert personal injury lawyers is by getting recommendations from acquaintances, friends and other lawyers. Once you get hold of them, start interviewing them so that you may choose the best person. You may also check the online lawyer’s directory where you can go through the experience, education and fees of the respective lawyer.
So, if you’ve gone through any of the above mentioned situations and you’re not confident about your legal knowledge and skills, don’t hesitate to seek help of a personal injury attorney. They are the ultimate people to help you win a claim.
You must log in to post a comment.