The cloud architect is mainly focused on software development. Cloud architects also design and plan cloud environments in order to offer guidance during the course of the life cycle of a cloud-based deployment or development project. A cloud architect should understand the necessary concepts and moving parts included in constant integration and uninterrupted delivery in the cloud. They provide their knowledge in cloud-based infrastructures and their build and release strategy to develop teams. Cloud architects are not only responsible for designing but also taking leadership of systems and environment throughout their lifecycle.
Important skills required for Cloud Architects
Cloud architects require a vast number of skills. This is a role where soft skills come into play, it is considered as an important skill along with technical skills. These are the list of skills and credentials a cloud architect must have or acquire to stand out in this field:
- They must acquire a solid overall experience in enterprise computing: Preferably, this means you require one or additional degrees in computer science, informatics, MIS or something alike. You also need to have a a decent grasp of how enterprises utilize information technology for a various range of reasons and applications.
- You require solid technical skills in enterprise computing. Cloud architects should understand the building blocks of IT. It includes networking client systems and applications, data centers, infrastructure, programming languages, technologies and web tools, data bases and big data and many more. In literature, this is often defined as “T shaped skill profile.” Most technical areas require broad and shallow skills with the need of one or additional skillset in one or more technical areas.
- One of the most important parts of cloud architect is that it requires incredible Communication skills. It is a crucial skill for It architects, they should be able to use all existing and relevant communication techniques. It includes the skills to communicate clearly, directly, and persuasively either in writing or in person, in face to face conversation and even in group meetings. Cloud architects should be able to handle meetings perfectly and deal with all kinds of situations and people involving executives, technical experts, managers and customers or clients, and stakeholders.
- This is another crucial skill that the cloud architects require: leadership. They should have exceptional and effective leadership qualities as their work involves convincing group of people such as stakeholders in order to believe in a unified vision and the blueprint of the steps of the working environment of cloud in their organisation.
- Cloud architects also require the skills to analyse and ask the correct questions. They need to have analytical skills and curiosity. They should be able to ask correct questions and listen to the answers carefully in order to continue growing and learning. In order to design the correct solution or system which requires understanding and devising the ideas and needs of the users and stakeholders in such a way that offers greater performance, availability, security and integrity.
- Cloud architects must have the necessary skills to understand the importance of business or organisations. They must be focused on technologies and solutions to offer an inexpensive advantage or to enhance productivity and profitability. Hence, understanding the company’s business concepts and strategy proves to be extremely advantageous.
In order to become a cloud architect, you must have in-depth knowledge and understanding of cloud computing and its various roles. You should also be aware of its uses in the market. You should understand the technologies such as software-defined network, physical and virtual storage, network infrastructures, backup and recovery technologies, and disaster recovery.
Enhance your skills, knowledge and experience
A cloud architect is usually preferred by the individuals in the later stages of their career. The individuals acquiring this job usually hold an experience level of eight to ten years with a combination of other job role experiences such as technical expert, team leader, first or second level manager. The job needs individuals with exceptional hard technical skills and leadership skills which is difficult to achieve without any experience in IT industries. Thus, any IT professionals with different areas of specialisation can expand their skillset to architect role at a point in their career.