Approximately 100,000 to 200,000 tonnes of collectible post-use PVC waste is produced annually in the UK. These materials are perfectly suitable for recycling and re-use, but instead much of it is still sent to landfill where it does not break down easily because many plastics are non-biodegradable.
The following guide by leading UK baler supplier “QCR Recycling Equipment” will highlight the advantages that plastic recycling brings to any business and outline how to kick start a recycling program at your workplace without fuss.
Benefits that Businesses Can Achieve by Recycling their Plastic Waste
By renting or buying a baler, your plastic waste can be segregated, neatly compacted and stored, plus it can then be bought for a pretty penny by recycling companies. These are the rewards this route brings:
Save Money & Earn Extra Revenue:
- Landfill taxes are escalating as is Government pressure on the commercial sector to recycle more - less plastic waste set to landfill saves you paying these increasingly hefty taxes.
- Compacting your plastic waste on-site will save your business money on skip and collection costs.
- By segregating plastic instead of generating mixed waste, you will earn added revenue from recycling companies who pay good money for quality recyclable material.
Brand Reputation Boost:
- Increasingly both Government and consumers are frowning on companies that are seen to be uncaring about being responsibly Green. By demonstrating that you have a sound recycling program in place, your company will be seen by the public and prospective employees as more caring and therefore more appealing.
- The Government's National Procurement Strategy requires authorities to build sustainability considerations into their procurement contracts. This means that is you do not have any Green credentials your company could miss out on lucrative invitations to tender.
Ensuring the Environment is Safe for Future Generations:
- If plastic materials are recycled, the energy that went into forming them originally is not wasted, unlike if they are simply dumped at landfill.
- Plastic has been proven to harmful to both the soil and to wildlife.
- Less plastic waste sent to landfills reduces the carbon footprint arising from transport and related pollution.
Top Tips to Easily Kick Start a Plastic Recycling Program in Your Workplace
Follow these tips and your company can take strides in going Green without fuss:
- Identify the different type of plastic waste your company generates so it can be segregated. If unsure, your waste management contractor will be able to help you.
- Calculate the volume of each type of plastic that your company generates each month. This is key as it will help you set a realistic recycling program as well as understand how much added revenue you can make by baling and selling it to a recycling company. You can even buy waste management software these days which can monitor the amounts of plastic waste your company produces and segregates.
- Consider buying or renting a baler - these machines pay for themselves in no time since they will help you save on skip and landfill costs, as well as allowing you to segregate different plastics so they can be sold to a recycling company.
- Have plentiful labelled bins located within easy reach around the workplace as well as skips outside if necessary and ensure they are clearly labelled for each type of plastic. Posters with tick box images of the types of plastic to throw in the bin would be the ideal complement so that all employees are crystal clear on what to recycle and where.
- Clearly inform and educate you staff of your recycling goals and strategy. It's a good idea to have monthly recycling targets with incentive bonuses communicated through an internal email since this really helps employees get on board.
This guide offered by QCR recycling equipment demonstrates that whether large or small, every business will reap rewards by recycling their plastic waste instead of sending it to landfill. Additionally, by following the top tips mentioned above, getting on track with a recycling program need not be a bother.