Anti-vibration mounts are exactly what they sound like; they are mounts used for eliminating vibration. The mounts are typically made from rubber and metal and are attached to a machine, usually at the bottom, using bolts. These mounts are used in a wide range of industries and applications including in;
- Air conditioners
- Military equipment
- Industrial machinery
- Power generators
- Medical equipment
How Anti-Vibration Mounts Work
Most anti-vibration mounts are made from heavy-duty rubber or combined with some other material depending on the type. The mount is affixed to the machinery. When the machine is used, the mounts absorb and dampen vibrations, drastically reducing the vibration and noise output.
Types of Anti-Vibration Mounts
There are various types of anti-vibration mounts and the type to use largely depends on its application. There are a few common types that are worth looking into;
Bushing Mounts: These mounts are typically made from a combination of high-quality bonded rubber and metal. Also known as center bonded bushings or bushes, they are great at absorbing both extreme dynamic and static vibration in various machines. The bushing features inner and outer sleeves with heavy rubber compound to support high loads and eliminate high frequency noise and vibration. Some of the areas you can expect to find bushing mounts include in motor vehicles, flexible joints, heavy duty and light duty equipment, combines, harvesters and cooling towers.
Cylindrical Mounts: These anti-vibration mounts are good at noise dampening and vibration isolation covering a wide variety of frequencies. The mounts are equally effective for passive and active vibrations, limit structure-born noise and suppress shock. The mounts are typically made from stainless steel and heavy-duty natural rubber and are good for shear and compression noise and vibration. These are also referred to as rubber bobbin mounts.
Conical Mounts: These mounts represent the latest technology and are also referred to as rubber cone mounts. These mounts are very effective for environments with demanding noise and vibration reduction needs. Conical mounts also thrive in extreme load and excessive g force environments. The mounts are easy to install especially compared to other options and have excellent vibration and shock isolation capabilities. Common areas you can expect to find cone mounts include in transmissions and engines for buses, trucks, agricultural vehicles and construction equipment.
Advantages of Anti-Vibration Mounts
Many managers and equipment operators are reluctant to spend on anti-vibration mounts because they view these as an unnecessary expense. The truth is that these mounts are incredibly useful and offer great returns on investment. Below are some of the great reasons to install anti-vibration mounts.
- The mounts absorb high-frequency vibrations across a variety of applications include HVAC, compressors, generators, pumps and motors.
- Some are made specifically to absorb low frequency vibrations. These are useful in sensitive industries such as food processing, electronics, pharma, textile and metrology.
- Most mounts use a combination of heavy-duty rubber and metal plates. This combination allows easy mounting, effective noise and vibration absorption and high durability.
- High-tech mounts come with safety features such as a fail safe to protect both the mounting and the machine it is affixed on.
- Anti-vibration mounts are advisable for hand-held machines. The vibration absorption helps to protect the user from Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome and a variety of potential health and physical problems.
- Anti-vibration mounts are easy to install and are available in a variety of sizes, designs and load capabilities.
- Technological advancements in the industry mean that there are mounts for all types of vibrations. These include torsional, centrifugal, vertical and horizontal vibrations.
You can count of finding an anti-vibration mount for any industry or machine you are working with. These mounts offer numerous benefits and great overall value for money. Apart from protecting the machine itself from wear and tear; these mounts also protect surrounding structures from the effects of vibration especially from heavy equipment and machinery. A trusted supplier can help you pick out the best anti-vibration mounts for your application as well as assist in the installation process if required.