Anyone in the position of responsibility in the city may face issues that must be improvements on the bridge, dam repairs, or historical restorations. Even if you are a business or household owner, you have issues that need to be improved or maintained with shotcrete services.
But encountering infrastructure issues in cold weather needs extra attention to shotcrete application to have a high-quality production rate and results.
Then let’s begin giving you the information you need that will make sure you keep the shotcrete from freezing in cold weather.
What Do You Need To Know About Shortcrate?
Some factors affect the concrete in cold weather. You need to know these factors before asking the shotcrete contractor to start work on the infrastructure. Because knowing these factors will give a clear idea. In how to protect your shotcrete application from freezing.
These three factors are results of cold weather that affects concreting. Firstly, you need to protect the newly placed shotcrete from early-age freezing. Then ensure adequate strength development. Lastly, make sure the concrete is free from thermal shock and cracking at the end of protection duration.
In addition, it is not necessary to avoid pouring from the head in winter, but it is important to take adequate protection because pouring shotcrete in winter is the best to have a stronger result. Not like the concrete poured in hot weather, thanks to the slow curing period.
But if you are working on outdoor shotcrete improvements. You need to stop working in temperatures below 20 degrees Fahrenheit because hydration stops completely at such temperatures.
Read Out: 6 Common Myths About Shotcrete
Shotcrete Pouring Tips In Winter
When applying sprayed concrete during cool weather, pay attention to the tips mentioned below. So pouring and placing can help concrete to set up and cure properly during cold weather:
- Ensure to arrange the crews correctly on site for a longer period because exposed shotcrete in cold temperatures takes more time to reach an initial set.
- Use windbreaks as they can help protect concrete. And workers from strong cold winds.
- Also, it’s essential to use a heated enclosure that can be made of wood or polyethylene sheet. This will help in maintaining the right temperature for the shotcrete.
What experts of concrete aim for when pouring and placing service the shotcrete in the winter. Is to apply the shotcrete under 40 degrees Fahrenheit temperature. And keep it for the appropriate time for each type of concrete and its planned usage.
Tips For Curing Shotcrete In Winter
There are techniques that shotcrete companies use during the curing process. To protect concrete spray paint from getting effects from cold weather. And ensure the concrete reaches the largest strength:
- Maintain the heat as we mentioned above to prevent the concrete from drying too quickly.
- Pay extra attention to Corners and edges since they are most vulnerable, and forms will help during the heat release process.
- Live streaming pumping around the concrete will prevent it from drying out too quickly in the low-humidity levels that are common during winter.
- Shotcrete poured and placed in winter has a much slower setting and curing time; the bleeding process will start later than expected. So be prepared to handle more blowdown water than usual in normal concrete placement.
- You must show the concrete temperature by using an infrared temperature gun. Ensure that the shotcrete maintains a temperature of at least 40 degrees for the hardened part.
- When the active heating is finished, you need to follow the protection method to prevent the concrete from freezing rapidly by lowering the temperatures within a section. Or by covering the concrete application with insulating blankets.
- Be sure to cure the concrete for the time recommended for the type of concrete being used.
- Also, ensure the newly cured concrete is protected by applying a sealant layer. To prevent exterior water from penetrating the concrete. Because the sealants will extend the shotcrete, they will last a long time and reduce the risk of cracking due to hardening. And in extremely cold areas, a breathable concrete sealer should be used. That allows the evaporation of moisture.
The Bottom Line
Preplanning is the key to having a shotcrete application done successfully in cold weather whenever you are developing a new concreting plan.
You need to consider these objectives that protect the Strength of concrete from early-age freezing. Additionally, ensure gaining the strength correctly and protection from thermal shock and cracking.
Thus, you need to hire the best concrete contractors in Calgary. To guarantee to have the best services of sprayed concrete in building artistic ideas to life from art pieces to foundation walls. With the expert shotcrete contractors who will save your time and expenses.