Looking for a suitable bus conversion is a never-ending task for those who are keen on road trips. The demands of road trippers vary widely with their plans. Some want a cost-effective vehicle for the long tours; some want more creature comforts for their next family trip, while others look for a perfect blend of affordability and luxury. No matter what your requirement is, there are some critical aspects, which you should never ignore. Here is a list you must check out to make your hunt a rewarding experience.
- Choose the Platform Wisely
The bus conversions can have two types of platforms, the highway coach, and the school bus platform. The highway coach platforms usually come with a luggage hold and separate from the traveler cabin along with a spacious floor. The school bus platforms are affordable, easily available, and are a highly sought-after option for those who need a vehicle within a budget. So, before you invest, know which one of the above fits both your travel needs and pocket.
- Plan the Layout
The best part of having a properly laid out bus conversion is, you can enjoy the exciting experiences of long road trips with the ‘at-home’ feel. The layout of a bus conversion typically consists of a living area, kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom. For a more comfortable trip, look for the following features:
- Larger living space: People spend most of the time here. So, make sure it is large enough for taking a meal with your companions or watching a TV show with your family or friends. You may have to accommodate some furniture like a couch and table in the living area. Check whether there is enough space for moving around after placing these items.
- Smaller kitchen and bathroom: You may not get much to flaunt with a bus converted RV. Still, it should have room for keeping two burners, a sink, and a refrigerator at a minimum. Similarly, a bathroom with a shower and toilet will make RV-ing easier.
- Spacious bedroom: Nothing makes a bus conversion more comfortable as a big bedroom does. A spacious bedroom should not feel claustrophobic even after placing a large bed and other frequently used stuff. To level up the comfort, make sure that it has a window.
- Opt for the Newest One
When it comes to buying a bus conversion, going for the newest one is always the best option. The parts of a vehicle wear out with time. So, an overused vehicle may increase your maintenance costs later. However, it does not necessarily mean that you have to avoid the older models. The slightly older versions of these vehicles, which are well-maintained also, can yield good returns while letting you save money.
- Check the Condition of the Generator
The generator is the most critical component of mobile homes. Thus, it needs special attention at the time of inspection. Check whether servicing of the generator is done regularly or not. Then look for the manufacturer’s recommendations to stay updated about future maintenance. Remember, older the vehicle, greater the care, a generator will need. So, do not forget to collect every bit of information about it. Even if you are purchasing a new vehicle, stay informed about the frequency of changing oil and filter to avoid repair costs up to $9,000.
- Look at the Maintenance Records
Maintenance records tell a lot about a vehicle. These reports contain detail of repairing works done on the vehicle over time. Going through them carefully before purchasing the bus conversion will reveal those facts that are hard to find otherwise.
- Know about Fuel Consumption
The fuel consumption is a crucial factor in assessing the performance of a bus conversion. RVs require more fuel power in comparison with ordinary vehicles. The greatest concerns these when investing in a bus converted RV is the cost of fuel. Therefore, you must look into these aspects for a better fuel economy:
- Inspect the Tires: To boost miles per gallon (MPG), make sure that you check the vehicle tires. Low tires adversely affect fuel economy, as they wear out quickly. Use a tire pressure gauge or a tire monitoring system to understand whether you need to inflate the tires or not. Avoid investing in a bus conversion if the tires are worn out.
- Insist on new wires and spark plugs: When looking for a used bus converted RV, check the engine carefully. Did you know that new wires and spark plugs could make a lot of difference to the gas mileage? Do not invest in a vehicle that has dirty air filters. The engine may not perform efficiently if it inhales air through a dirty filter. Ask your seller to show you a bus that has a high-flow air filter for better mileage.
- Invest in diesel-powered units: If budget permits, choose diesel-powered units, as they are more fuel- efficient. So, buying a unit that runs on fuel will benefit in the longer term. A diesel vehicle will give you a mileage of 8 to 14 MPG.
- Check Roof and Windows Seals
The condition of the roof seals and seams of the vehicle can make a huge difference. With weatherproof roof seals, you can travel with greater comfort with no moisture seeping into the vehicle. Furthermore, the roofs are highly damage-prone as they encounter too much of heat, high wind, and other environmental elements. You may end up spending a lot on repairs if a bus with poor roof seal is purchased. The same thing applies for window seals as well. Inspect them to ensure they are properly fit and not damaged.
Choose a bus conversion for sale that is spacious and helps you travel comfortably. Before starting the search, list your requirements. Also, have a budget ready beforehand to keep the process simpler and shorter. Owning a home on wheels is the best way to explore the great outdoors. So pack your stuff and hit the roads once you own this travel buddy. Happy RV-ing!
Contributed by https://motorhomefinders.com/