The Pros and Cons of Having a Friend with Benefit
Having a really good friend of the opposite sex can sometimes trigger the thought – what if? Someone who listens to you, cares for you and with whom you have a lot of fun, can trick your mind into thinking you want something more. It’s natural to feel attracted to them at one point, but the question is – how to save your friendship if things get complicated?
Let’s be real, sex complicates things, and if you are not ready for that mess, maybe you should avoid the risks. On the other hand, if you feel confident about making that step, make sure you are completely honest from the start.
There is another option as well – no strings attached relationship with someone you met recently. It may seem like a safer choice, but keep in mind that the more time you spend together, the more you will get to know each other. Nonetheless, here are some advantages of having such a friend:
- Trust – You can be absolutely open about your desires. If you know them well, you can trust that your secrets are safe.
- Less Awkward – Because it’s a casual thing, you can call them whenever you want, without having to question whether or not the message will be properly received. Also, you don’t have to feel insecure about your body. Both of you are free to enjoy yourselves without unnecessary pressure to impress each other.
- Freedom – Since there are no rules, you don’t have the obligation to submit reports about your whereabouts. Also, the guilt of messing around with someone else is off the table. You are free to do whatever you want.
- Trying Something New – It’s a great way to experiment and explore your likes and dislikes. There are no judgments, only the pleasure. Additionally, it is a great boost to your confidence level. But never forget, when it comes to practice – safe is the only acceptable option!
- Support – Undoubtedly, you have the best of both worlds. You get to have someone when you need company, and yet you can be the party animal running wild.
Up until now, everything seems peachy and awesome. However, things are not usually so easy and carefree. Before you put yourself out there, consider some obstacles that may come along the way.
- Losing a Friend – After a while, feelings are bound to develop at some point. It can ruin your friendship or possibility for a long-term relationship. With sexual attachment, it’s hard to return to being just friends.
- How safe is it? – Being free to have multiple partners only enhance the possibility of sexual diseases. You may have been keeping it safe, but you can never be a 100 percent sure about the other person.
- Jealousy – Almost every human being has a dose of possessiveness. You may think you are truly on the same page, but beware of the unwanted drama. When one party starts to have fillings, things can soon turn from sweet to bitter.
- Social judgment – If you are involved with someone from your close circle of friends, prepare yourself for social disapproval and judgment. Then again, they might try to convince you to make it official. Either way, it causes the tension and damages, not only to the good thing you have going on, but also to the long-lasting friendships you have developed.
Certainly, if you want to lower the risk of disadvantages, think about the following:
- Are you or your partner a jealous type?
- Be honest from the beginning
- Set rules
- Limit the ”couple” behavior
- Stop if fillings start to develop
- Keep your friendship to yourselves
- Respect each other
Nobody wants to be the villain of this story; to enjoy this opportunity, it’s important not to lead them on, because someone can end up with a broken heart.
After you have read all the pros and cons of having a beneficial buddy, you know it’s hard, but not impossible, to pull this off. Therefore, to avoid the inconvenience that may occur, be prepared for all the outcomes and think about the kind of a person you are choosing to get involved with.