Few Attention-Grabbing Facts about Water
Water is undoubtedly the most important resource on this planet. Below mentioned are some of the most interesting facts about water. Have a look:
- Water is the only compound which is found naturally on earth in three forms- liquid, solid and gas.
- Water regulates the temperature on the Earth.
- Around 70% of an adult’s body is made up of water.
- Around 83% of human blood is made up of water.
- Millions of years ago, we have had the same amount of water on the planet. We drink the same water as the dinosaurs.
- Though, 70% of the earth’s surface is covered by water, only 1% of water is readily available for human use. 97% of water is either salty or otherwise undrinkable and the rest 2% is available in the form of ice caps and glaciers.
- Pure water has a neutral pH of 7, which is neither acidic nor basic.
- A large portion around 70% of the world’s available water is used for agriculture. Further, industrial sector uses around 22% of the water.
- More than 768 million people in the world do not have access to safe drinking water.
- Around 80% of all illness in the developing countries comes from waterborne diseases. In every 15 second, a child dies due to waterborne disease.
- Approx 150 litters of water used each day by an average person in the United Kingdom.
- When looking at household water consumption, 100 litters of water used in the average dishwasher cycle, around 8% of the clean water used in a single flush of an average toilet, 62 litres of hot water used in an 8 minute shower. In case a power shower is used, twice as much water used.
- Up to 50% of water gets wasted everyday through leaks.
- More than 63% of daily water consumption at home originates from the bathroom and the toilet.
There are a number of water suppliers in the United Kingdom; Thames Water is amongst the most popular water company in the UK. It provides clean and safe water to around 9 million customers in London and the Thames Valley. It supplies an average of 2600 M litres of drinking water per day. The tap water provided by Thames Water, costs less than a tenth of a penny per litre. Their drinking water quality meets 99.99% of stringent tests. Apart from supplying water, Thames Water is also indulged in the operation and management of around 102 water treatment works.